VCCA Home
Posted By: dougs_27 speedometer in my 27 - 01/19/12 02:41 AM
Pulled the speedometer out last Saturday.Found that it was different than the spare one we have. Did some looking in United Motors Service Catalog and found that the one in the car was for a 25 or early 26 and the spare one is a 27. The date on the back of the 27 speedo is after the date the car was bought. so neither was the one that came in the car. Now I am scratching my head as to how many miles is on the car and why my grandfather would have changed it. The spare probably came out of my other grandfathers coupe, I wish I had that one also. The 25 speedo looks a lot nicer than the 27 I like the trip reset on the front rather than on the back. Maybe I will have to buy a 25 Chev to go with my 27.
Posted By: 1922c Re: speedometer in my 27 - 01/19/12 03:22 AM
I have a what I think is a 27 speedometer, and need a 25.... I'm in central Utah. Could trade..
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: speedometer in my 27 - 01/19/12 07:47 AM

A working 25 speedo will be a very difficult find. The bridge is pot-metal and is warped/broken in almost every case. You may have some luck looking for an AC speedo from another GM product which will work and the only difference will be the colors on the face and the AC.

I have been quoted up to $1,500 for restoration of a 25 speedo.

devil Agrin
Posted By: dougs_27 Re: speedometer in my 27 - 02/14/12 01:29 AM
I took both speedometers apart as they would not turn freely. I found the grease was just dried up and gummy. Cleaned them and oiled them with a light machine oil. Made a new gasket for the 25 speedometer Both turn free now and look good. If I can just get the rest of the car done I will have fun driving it.

Doug
Posted By: 1928isgreat Re: speedometer in my 27 - 02/14/12 03:16 AM
Hi Doug,

I found a similar situation when my speedometer died in 2009. The grease went so hard the pot metal gears jammed bent and stripped, then the cable snapped twice before I realized. I have attached the link to a posting on my blog about the restoration process. As I recall I made 3 goods units out of 5, for under $100 plus another $80 for 2 speedo cable inners.

THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS IF YOUR SPEEDO STOPS AND YOU CHECK THE CABLE AT THE UNI JOINT AND ITS BROKEN, DONT ASSUME LIKE I DID THAT THE CABLE IS THE ONLY PROBLEM. CHECK YOUR SPEEDO AT THE SAME TIME.

http://my28chev.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/2009-speedo-restoration.html

Cheers

Ray
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum