VCCA Home
Posted By: Mike33 1933 Master Cold Start - 01/17/15 05:06 PM
I have had my car in storage since it got cold here.The garage is not heated.I have straight 30W oil in it.My question is,is it safe to start it in this cold weather with this oil in it?My concern is the heavy oil not atomizing and the crank and rods not getting sufficient oiling.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1933 Master Cold Start - 01/17/15 06:55 PM
First there is no such thing as 30W oil. Because #30 is a summer oil (W=winter) its viscosity is not rated for below freezing teperatures.
If there is no reason to start the engine other than just hearing it run just don't start it in winter regardless what weight of oil is in the pan. If it must be started run the engine at low speeds until the oil pressure drops below 30 pounds.
I would recommend using 10W-30 oil as it covers all temperatures. Adding a pint of Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase will bring it down to a #20 viscosity when cold.
Posted By: Mike33 Re: 1933 Master Cold Start - 01/17/15 07:28 PM
Thanks
Posted By: terrill Re: 1933 Master Cold Start - 01/19/15 08:57 PM
I agree. You are to far North to start with 30 weight oil this time of the year. Down here in Mississippi I am still running around in my two '36's using 30 weight. They do just fine in our Southern weather.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum