VCCA Home
Posted By: P.U. Guy Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 02:59 PM
I have never seen and assume there Is not a gasket made for the flanged connection on the gas tank fill tube for a 36 1/2 ton . I have not had any luck with gasket maker material, even those that resist gasoline, they all seen to still allow a leak at the joint. Has anyone found a gasket or a good gasket material that works?
Thanks, Richard
Posted By: WinoWally Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 03:36 PM
Richard,

I'll take a look at mine a little later today. I had it apart when I took my tank in for repairs a couple of years ago, but I've forgotten what was in that joint (which does not leak!). I don't believe I had to replace it after the tank repair.

Wally
Posted By: P.U. Guy Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 03:44 PM
Wally, thanks I appreciate It. I see you are the featured Chat Guy, Speech!
Richard
Posted By: WinoWally Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 03:49 PM
"My fellow Chevrolians..." patriot
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 06:01 PM
You guys might be interested in an upcoming issue of the G&D which will be devoted only to TRUCKS!!!

Don't tell anyone that I told you.

devildance
Posted By: P.U. Guy Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 06:46 PM
Mums the word!
Posted By: james_h Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 07:16 PM
Have you tried neopreme rubber? JIM
Posted By: P.U. Guy Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 08:57 PM
I have not, since I couldn't find a source for a thick material to cut a gasket. Any thoughts where I might find this?
Thanks,
Richard
Posted By: james_h Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 09:23 PM
Try NAPA; if they do not have it, they may know where to get you need...JIM
Posted By: WinoWally Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 10:08 PM
Richard,

OK, here's the setup on my truck. An O-ring (about 2-1/2" ID, 1/8" width) sits on a ridge in the flared end of the lower section, and mates with the tapered ID of the "gas cap" section. I assume the O-ring is neoprene to resist gas. I'm going to replace mine as it has a shredded side from my previous installation (probably dry). This time I'll use some grease to lube it as it is tightened. I'm also installing a new, tight neoprene washer under the hex bolt that holds the assembly together.

Wally
Posted By: P.U. Guy Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 10:50 PM
Wally, thanks for taking It apart to look. I know It Is a pain to get to. I guess I will be out o ring shopping.
Richard
Posted By: chevy1937 Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 11:02 PM
McMaster-Carr is a good source for things you cant find elsewere. They would have the neoprene in many thickness.
For an example, I got brake rivets from them that I could not find elsewere.
Posted By: P.U. Guy Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/04/13 11:26 PM
Thanks, I will check them.
Richard
Posted By: james_h Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/18/13 01:10 AM
If you find the o-ring, use spray silicone lube on the rubber and it slides right in. NAPA has a good supply of o-rings too...JIM
Posted By: P.U. Guy Re: Gasket material, anyone? - 01/18/13 02:12 PM
Will do, thanks for the tips.
Richard
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum