VCCA Home
I am finally replacing old running board mats on my 1935 Chevrolet Standard. I have reproduction rubber but I know I have to remove the steel foundations that the rubber replacement pads adhere to .I've taken off one side to replace deteriorated rubber, I'm a little concerned about how many "twists those securing tabs will take. If anybody knows of any slick tricks I just don't want to snap off the metal tabs
hi there,
if you take yourself back to the chevvy production line, moving slowly along, they would attach the mats , give it a minimal twist and move to the next one. I would think only one, possibly 2 twists and that's it.
If after one twist, it is a snug fit, I guess that would be OK.
this is just my personal opinion mate.
at least you have one reply ok

Peter
When i was putting the rubber mats onto the 1934-1935 standard metal backing plates i sprayed the back of the metal mounting surface with 3M rubberised underseal that has a pebbly finish that will cushion the surface. I think its their #888 . I also sprayed it with black semi gloss to further protect it.

I also did the same thing too the runningboard as a protectant against scratching and surface marking. I test put the metal backing on and then marked the surface off with masking tape and sprayed the surface. That was 32 years ago and still looks like new.

mike
Rob,

I have removed and re-installed my rubber mats on the backing plates with tabs (on my '34) a couple of times. So they have been installed at least three times. The tabs look like they could still be untwisted and twisted again. The metal is fairly soft and forgiving so I wouldn't be overly concerned about breaking them.

I used a good pair of pliers and turned them 90 degrees to the slot. To make the twisting easier I first installed the three bolts in the middle to position the plate and pull it tight to the running board. Then I had my wife stand, on one foot, over each tab as I twisted them. That made it much easier with less strain on the tabs.

Also, before you install the plate, I would over bend the outer edge down a bit so it fits tight to the running board. Otherwise there might be a slight gap after the tabs are twisted.

Hope this helps!
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum