VCCA Home
Posted By: HaroldF 1936 Chevy truck floor boards - 07/07/22 03:57 AM
I would like to know if a 1936 1/2 ton low cab pickup truck had plywood or stamped metal floor boards / toe boards. Also how difficult is it to replace the wood frame in a late 1936 low cab pickup truck? Door hinge pins are tight but door hinges are loose and screws into body are stripped. Doors sag and are difficult to close.
Posted By: dunfire Re: 1936 Chevy truck floor boards - 07/07/22 11:41 AM
Harold, the floor was oak plywood I believe. I have never had to replace my door frame wood so hopefully someone else can weigh in on that.
Posted By: Tiny Re: 1936 Chevy truck floor boards - 07/07/22 11:48 AM
wel2 Welcome Harold! You've come to the right place. I'll move this to the appropriate technical forum to get you a wider audience & hopefully answer your question.
Posted By: 35Mike Re: 1936 Chevy truck floor boards - 07/07/22 12:48 PM
Harold,
I have a new wood kit for my 1936 low cab truck, but I have not installed it. I have no advice for you in that regard.
You might be able to improve your door operation by using through bolts with nuts and washers on the front side of the post. Some shimming at the hinges might be required to get things to line up. I did this and made my doors usable.
Your truck should have a plywood floorboard.

Mike
Posted By: old216 Re: 1936 Chevy truck floor boards - 07/15/22 02:05 AM
Are you talking about hinge screws loose in wood? One solution people use on house doors is to drill out the hole and install with glue, some dowel. Then redrill and install the screws.
Posted By: Rustoholic Re: 1936 Chevy truck floor boards - 07/15/22 04:51 PM
If you don't want to drill out the holes, another 'fix' is to glue wood toothpicks into the existing holes and then drill a small pilot hole in the middle of the filled space for the screw to go in.

I did this with the A pillar of my '28 Canopy Express and it worked well. I used Gorilla Glue.

Cheers, Dean
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum