VCCA Home
Posted By: Rog40 40 parking light - 08/01/22 02:48 AM
Was there a rubber grommet in the hole where the wire passes through? My new wire has a cable type jacket but it slides on the wire. A grommet would help keep the jacket from sliding. The complication is that little square tang that protrudes from the bottom of the housing. The tang rides on top of the grommet if I put a grommet in the fender. Thanks for considering.
Posted By: beachbum Re: 40 parking light - 08/01/22 04:37 AM
On our '40 there is an odd little sheet metal shield that helps protect the parking lamp wire. If you notice the parking light is right in line where road debris could be thrown up from the tire and would eventually damage the wire, especially on a gravel road. It is about 6" long and a nut holds the shield in place.

When we rewired the car we added two element sockets and now the parking lamps are also the front turn signals.

Art
Posted By: Rog40 Re: 40 parking light - 08/01/22 09:48 AM
Thanks for replying. Mine also has the sheet metal protector for the p l wire. It doesn't hold the wire tightly though, just protects from debris thrown off the tire. Is there a rubber grommet in the fender?
Posted By: beachbum Re: 40 parking light - 08/03/22 05:41 AM
I don't think so. I think I used some electrical tape to keep the wire shield up where it needed to be. I think I taped it to the actual wire.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum