VCCA Home
Posted By: Brewskiehunter wiring color code request - 01/23/12 09:07 PM
HI, is there any guidance on what color coding I would put into 39 chev wiring accessories like a heater,clock,fogs,backup lite, park lites,radio,etc.?
Did Chev even use colors back then? Does it indicate load (wire gauge) or function (lights, ign, charging,etc..). Someone mentioned in another forum that the 10 ga amp-starter cable was originally red, but I have seen NOS cables that are just black...

Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: MrMack Re: wiring color code request - 01/24/12 12:08 AM
I think that Chevrolet changed from braided laquered insulated wire to colored plastic insulated wire during the 1953 model year.

Most of the original diagrams or schematics before mid- 1953, show the wire with a color coded thread in the woven insulation (Black with a red thread or yellow with a black thread, or natural with a black tracer), etc. etc.

Here is a link to Rhode Island Wireing's page showing various patterns of codeing of wire with woven insulation.
Color coded Braided Lacquered Wire
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: wiring color code request - 01/24/12 02:15 AM
The general wirung was tan with different color traser threads. The accessories you mentioned had a braided black wire or a solid tan wire. Because they were an accessory no tracer wire was used,
For items with a "normal" draw 16 Ga. wire was used . Horns and lighters used a larger wire. The "big" wire running from the starter switch to the ignition switch black and 12 Ga.
Posted By: Brewskiehunter Re: wiring color code request - 01/25/12 08:20 PM
Gentlemen, I appreciate the help!
Chevnut, once again you the man.
cheers,
Mike
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum