VCCA Home
Posted By: honk1e anti freeze leaking - 02/09/20 09:46 PM
Hello
I just installed a '55 235 engine in my '37 pickup.When I was getting ready to start it for the first time, I was filling it with anti freeze. I noticed anti freeze coming out of the 2 rocker arm cover holes on the driver side. I put bolts in the holes to stop the anti freeze from leaking out and started my engine for the first time. Every thing was fine except the 2 leaks. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to put studs in to attach the rocker cover? The # on the head is 3835913-GM 22. Any help is appreciated.

thank you
honk1e
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: anti freeze leaking - 02/09/20 11:34 PM
That head is for a earlier model where the valve cover was held down by the center rocker shaft studs.. Someone drilled holes to mount the later valve cover and struck water.....I did this on my 1953 in 1954 . I drilled and tapped holes so I coud install the later valve cover. Found ou the hard way that I drilled into the water area. I installed studs and used Permatex to seal the threads and installed nuts on the studs to hold the cover down. Never had a problem after that. You could use JB Weld on the threads, we did not have that in 1954.

The head was recast for 1954 with more "meat" on the left side so holes could be drilled and the flange on the rith side was made wider around the holes. THOSE REQUIRED A CHANGE IN THE CASTING AND THAT IS WHY A 1954 HEAD CASTING NUMBER IS DIFFERENT FROM A 1954.

Live and learn devildance
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: anti freeze leaking - 02/10/20 10:24 AM
"THAT IS WHY A 1954 HEAD CASTING NUMBER IS DIFFERENT FROM A 1954."

Did you mean that one of the years to be 1953?

Best,

Charlie computer

Posted By: Chev Nut Re: anti freeze leaking - 02/10/20 02:49 PM
....YES....
Posted By: honk1e Re: anti freeze leaking - 02/11/20 12:45 AM
Thank you for the response. That head came with the block so I assumed it was the right one. We all know what happens when you assume. I will put studs in it.

Thanks again
honk1e
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum