VCCA Home
Posted By: p.k. The Letter L - 03/17/19 03:41 AM
Never gave this much though but what does the letter ( L ) stand for on the L- 6 235 engine ?
Just wondering hood.
Posted By: Jonda1 Re: The Letter L - 03/17/19 04:48 AM
In high school automotive class a lifetime ago we were told it was a pushrod engine design. Where the valves were operated by pushrods going from the cam in the block to rocker arms in the head. Like a Flathead is valves in the block. I guess it doesn't sound as good as the automotive teacher taught us, but that was about 50 years ago.

Dennis
Posted By: tonyw Re: The Letter L - 03/17/19 06:45 AM
I think the "L" refers to the porting design where both inlet and exhaust ports are on 1 side in the head, the "X" (sometimes called "T") has inlet 1 side and exhaust the other, the "F" chamber has generally inlet in the head and exhaust in the block but can be the other way around.
Tony
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: The Letter L - 03/17/19 01:09 PM
Means straight six.
Posted By: Chip Re: The Letter L - 03/17/19 01:34 PM
Wikipedia Article on L-6 Engines
Posted By: Jonda1 Re: The Letter L - 03/18/19 01:44 AM
Tonyw.....I'm thinking you are right. High School was a long time ago and I seem to remember the teacher saying something about X and also F when explaining about L head engines. Sure wish I had paid more attention to what was being taught back then.
Dennis
Posted By: 35Mike Re: The Letter L - 03/18/19 03:01 AM
L head usually refers to a flathead engine, F head is an engine with intake valves in the head and exhaust valves in the block. (or at least half in each place)
An example of the F head is the Jeep 4 cylinder engine of the early 50s and into the 60s in the CJ5. They did not do a complete re-design of the flathead so the result was an unusual feature. The intake was cast into the head so the carb bolted to the top of the head. There was a head bolt under the carb which was not available with the carb in place. Many heads have been pried off with the hidden bolt still tight, resulting in a sizable chunk of the head left behind.

Mike
Posted By: p.k. Re: The Letter L - 03/18/19 02:07 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooo-ok grphug
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: The Letter L - 03/18/19 03:15 PM
L6 means a straight 6 rather than a V6

An L HEAD engine indicates valves in the block

A F head intake in head exhaust in block
Over head valve valves all in head.
Posted By: Rustoholic Re: The Letter L - 03/18/19 06:31 PM
I have to say, this is one L of a discussion.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dean
Posted By: brewster Re: The Letter L - 03/18/19 08:20 PM
I always thought it was a capital I, as in "inline", and thought people were misspelling it with an L...
Posted By: old216 Re: The Letter L - 03/19/19 12:42 AM
I had the same impression as Brewster. I think of the L head engine as the flathead style.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: The Letter L - 03/26/19 10:46 AM
I always thought as Gene has indicated. I think the application refers to flat head engines with the valves in the block as in Pontiac, Packard , Oldsmobiles, Plymouth, etc. straight sixes and eights.

I can't remember what Ford V-eights were referred as but their six cylinder engine was an L head.

The Chevrolets were referred to as overhead valves. Can't remember a letter designation for them but there may have been one.

Jonda!: The auto shop instructor could not have been that stupid. Like mine, your memory may be a bit faulty on some things.. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer
Posted By: bloo Re: The Letter L - 03/27/19 08:57 PM
The "L" in "L6" or "L8" just means inline. It has never made any sense to me but thats how it is. I remember seeing that terminology back in the 70s, and probably in books from much earlier.

The "L" in "L-head" is something else entirely. The two have nothing to do with each other.

L-head = Flathead with both valves on the same side of the cylinder (Ford, Cadillac v8s, most flathead 6's, Model T, etc.)

T-head = Flathead with one valve on each side of the cylinder. (Mercer and so on, mostly out of use by the late 20s)

F-head = One valve in the block like a flathead, the other in the head like a Chevy. (50s Jeeps, etc.)

I-head = Conventional overhead valves. (Chevrolet, Buick, etc.)
Posted By: 35reasons Re: The Letter L - 03/28/19 02:05 AM
perhaps the "L" means "Line" as an abbreviation for inLine. Back in the day, it would have been cooler to say, "I have a Line 6 stovebolt"

Hey, us guys have always tried to sound cool when talking about our cars... even back in 29! :)

© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum