VCCA Home
Posted By: Bare_Feet 1929 windshield drops down - 10/30/22 05:56 PM
I know I posted this a couple of years ago, but I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to keep the glass from dropping out of the steel channel when the windshield is raised up especially during hot weather. I purchased the glass setting tape which seems to be a soft rubber compound and I closed the channel as tight as I could without shearing off the tape when I push it over the glass, but it will drop out of the channel after about a half hour of hanging. My thought is I should try sandblasting the edge of the glass. I am wondering if the automotive glass installers have some kind of adhesive or tape which would have more grip. I'm curious what others have done.
Thanks
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 10/31/22 12:18 AM
Possibly the glass is an incorrect thickness? To install the channel it should be necessary to pound the channel down with a rubber mallet or hammer and wood block. Try a thicker tape and the glass should be slightly rounded at the top so should not cut the tape. Also the channel may have a slight outward taper at the lip. A little soapy water on the tape will help also to prevent tearing.
Posted By: Chistech Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/07/22 02:49 AM
Steve is correct, the glass setting tapes come in different thicknesses so you probably need a thicker tape. There are different tape makeups also with some having the glass side of the tape having a synthetic cork that really grips the glass. Some setting tape has a rubberized cloth surface to grip the glass.
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/10/22 12:40 AM
Thanks, guys
I'm not looking forward to resetting the channel since the upholstery is newly completed. I should be able to do it without removing the glass, just the regulator board.
Posted By: Chistech Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/10/22 04:10 AM
Not sure how you can do it without pulling the windshield glass. The channel needs to be driven over the setting tape onto the glass. I have a rug on a bench that I lay the glass on when starting the channel on. The top of the glass overhangs the edge of the bench , then I use a couple pieces of masking tape to hold the setting tape over the edge of the glass evenly, then I put the channel in place and start driving it on. As the glass slides in on the rug, I stop and bring it back out towards the edge repeating the process until the channel is down tight. I don’t stand the windshield up and drive the channel on because the bottom of the winds is curved and only the ends make contact with the bench top.
Pulling the windshield shouldn’t effect the upholstery much. Pulling the regulator board will allow you to pull the windshield without much issue. If you an install te channel with the glass in place, the channel is nowhere tight enough on the glass. A hard rubber or wood mallet is needed to drive the channel on when the proper thickness of setting tape is used. That rule goes for all glass panels, not just the windshield glass.
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/10/22 02:23 PM
I agree with Ted on trying to install without removing the glass. I worked for a storm window manufacturer when going to college and the process of installing the metal channels was much as Ted described other than the fact working with straight edges the channels were driven on with the glass vertical. That could still be done if a piece of wood was cut to the shape of the bottom of the glass and then set on the bench and covered. It would eliminate the problem of the glass sliding. If you use a tape that is wider than necessary it can be trimmed after the channel is installed .
Posted By: Chistech Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/11/22 08:13 PM
I agree Steve but by the time you make the curved piece of wood, I’d already be putting the glass back!😂 I’ve done so many now that I’m used to doing them flat. You’d think by this time I would have a curved wood cradle to do the job but just haven’t seen the need.
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/11/22 10:36 PM
I was afraid to hit the glass on my 31 Cabriolet so I used long padded clamps to pull the side and windshield glass into the frames and channel. I used dawn on the side windows. Then the windshield glassman told me to use motor oil on the windshield tape. It was a mess since the last side has to be pulled on with it on the car but it all worked and nothing cracked.

Dave
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/13/22 01:12 AM
The last car show was today, and cool weather is coming so I need to get this project going. I'll take it out and maybe even make a tracing on a piece of underlayment in case something bad happens.
I'll measure the thickness of the glass and the ID of the channel and then look for a slightly thicker tape with the cork inside if one is available. Maybe a combination of clamps and rubber mallet might work. I'll post the results.
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/14/22 07:31 PM
I think I found the problem. I removed the windshield this morning following the instructions in the service manual. it came out easily. The glass measures .241" thickness. The glass setting tape measures about .035" and so 2 X .035" + .241" = .311 and the inside of the channel is about .312 so there is very little grip. I ordered the 3/64" thick tape from Ecklers (cork and rubber) I am hoping that will not be too thick.
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/22/22 01:12 AM
It's together with new tape.
I used bungee cords, plastic padded clamps, a plastic hammer and water with a little soap. It's tight!
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/22/22 06:49 PM
Thanks for the update.
Posted By: BearsFan315 Re: 1929 windshield drops down - 11/22/22 07:49 PM
let us know if it works for you. always good to see follow up so future readers know the results :)
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum