VCCA Home
Posted By: langer removal of dash knobs - 09/02/13 10:49 PM
What is the trick to removing the dash knobs from the stem of the cable? I have some new knobs that I want to put on the cables and two of the old knobs are still in place. What I need to know is how do I get the old ones off without breaking them and then what do I have to do to easily put the new ones on?

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/03/13 12:46 AM
Gotta ask why you're trying to save the old knobs? I got one or two off 30 years ago and NEVER found a use for them. Usually you just need to break the old ones off. I seriously doubt that you can get one off "on purpose" without breaking it.

There's a couple of ways to get the new ones on. I'm sure someone else will further clarify.

One -- hot water. Put the knob in hot water for 5 or 10 minutes, then grab it with a washcloth and quickly push it on the rod. Usually you need to have the rod held by a vice.

--or--

Two -- Use a torch and lightly heat the end of the metal rod. Immediatly press the knob on to the shaft. Again, the rod needs to be held firmly by a vice.

If you somehow mess up (and we've all done that) and the knob doesn't stay on the rod firmly, then you can mix up some expoxy glue and press it into the knob with a toothpick, and then quickly press the knob on.

good luck.

--Bill
Posted By: langer Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/03/13 12:52 AM
Bill, Thanks for your help. I will have no use for the old knobs. I will try the suggested methods.
Appreciate your help.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/03/13 04:35 AM
Erik....are you talking about the knobs on your 1929 Chevrolet?

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/03/13 06:39 AM

If we are talking about the knobs on a 1929, my best memory when I restored a 1929 Convertible Landau, was that they were metal. Not aware of any metal knobs being reproduced for the 1929. I had them turned out of brass, engraved, and then chrome plated.

Agrin devil
Posted By: langer Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/04/13 05:38 AM
Yes I am. The Gas, Choke and Spark knobs. I was able to purchase them from Gary Wallace. They came nickel plated and engraved. I just need to get the old choke and spark knobs off and then install the new knobs.

Any tricks of the trade would help greatly.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/04/13 07:18 AM

OK, inspect the new knobs and see how they mount. Do they screw on, pressed on, ect.

To remove the old knobs I would use a Dremel tool with a cutoff disc. Split it down the center and then use a chisel to split open.

I don't know how the replacement knobs were intended to attach, but in any case use some Lock Tight to keep them on.

Agrin devil
Posted By: Chipper Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/04/13 01:50 PM
Inspecting the replacement knobs should help determine if they were pushed on, screwed on or cast in place. Also contact Gary Wallace to ask his recommendation for installing the knobs.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/04/13 02:29 PM
If the old knobs are made out of pot metal (the knobs that I have are) then they can be removed with a torch.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: langer Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/04/13 10:32 PM
Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: removal of dash knobs - 09/04/13 10:56 PM
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

laugh wink beer2
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum