VCCA Home
Posted By: olleschevy Front leaf spring shackle - 01/24/12 06:30 PM
Hi. I am just about to reassemble the front leaf springs after some refreching. I bought the new replacement shackles from Gary Wallace.
Does anyone know what torque to use on the nut? There are two spring washers in the kit. Use one or both as a pair?

Olle
Posted By: Chipper Re: Front leaf spring shackle - 01/25/12 12:32 AM
If you have the repair manual it shows the tool to set the shackle nuts. It shows a measuring device that I have never seen. So I just set them so there is enough pressure to keep the shackle sides snug but not tight on the pins.
Posted By: DanR Re: Front leaf spring shackle - 01/25/12 12:40 AM
Hi Olle,

Since you are a VCCA member, look at page 38 of the November, 2011 G&D. Steve Kassis gives a good description of replacing spring shackles. His recommendation is to adjust the spring washer to a clearance of .010".

Happy Motoring,

Dan
Posted By: Gunsmoke Re: Front leaf spring shackle - 01/25/12 02:37 AM
I understand they used a single washer on the front shackles and a double on the rear shackles. I just replaced all my shackle pins and snugged the shackle bolts to the point about 1/2 the curvature of the washer was flattened and stopped at that. Depending on stiffness of washers, that should do. Don't forget to install the nut locks.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Front leaf spring shackle - 01/25/12 04:18 AM
Gunsmoke's description and procedure are correct.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: olleschevy Re: Front leaf spring shackle - 01/25/12 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. Just rembered seeing it in G&D.

Olle
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum