Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#478299 01/30/2023 3:17 PM
by Mr87Monty
Mr87Monty
1941 Master Deluxe father son project. 6 volt.

My sons asked the following questions after we figured out it is not worth it for us to fix our radio other than for cosmetic purposes. Please keep in mind that this is not a restoration but is a do nothing that cannot be undone project.

Kids asked the following questions:
1. What is the last year that 6 volt radios were made? And when did Chevrolet stop putting them in their cars? Not going 12v.
2. Would any of these fit the existing holes in the dash? Rule that we make no changes that cannot be undone, unless prior owners already did them. Kids said it is period correct to them since if the radio in their car dies they would get one that fits and use that. Youngest pointed out I buy my parts from NAPA not GM for my Silverado. Hard to argue that one.
3. Radio would need to have FM available since there are only three AM channels left in our area.
4. Speaker can be hidden anywhere so that is not an issue.

I am still leaning towards an Bluetooth speaker but if they have an idea I will look into it and not take it off the list until a group concessions can be made.
Liked Replies
#478945 Feb 16th a 04:36 PM
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
A radio in 1941 was not installed at the Chevrolet factory. They were installed by the dealer. About one third of the 1941 Chevrolet cars were sold without a radio. A car radio was still considered a luxery by many folks. Chevrolet offered the three approved accessory radios in 1941, the non-push buttom for $24.95, a standard push button for $49,95, a combination standard and short wave for $64.50, (not common).
Then other brands made radios to custom fit into the 1941 instrument panel, the Motorola being the most popular (it did not have GMs blessings). There were srveral other afer market brands available and even Sears Roebuck offerd one, After all there were a million 1941 Chevrolets made so was a large market out there for folks decided later they wanted a radio after all.

All GM cars were 12 volt by 1955 and other brands by 1956 so that pretty well reduced the demand for 6 volt radios in cars although there were still some 1953 and 1954 owners wanting to install a radio in their one or two year old non-radio equipped car,

1958 was the first year a dealer could order a radio equipped car from the factory.

The first year an AM-FM rado was offered by Chevrolet was 1963 and for the full sized cars only
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.