Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
bloo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jonathan_Ketron
Jonathan_Ketron
Hello,

I have a mostly stock 1937 older restoration business coupe and working to take everything back to stock.

My question, what year voltage regulator do I have? Understand 1937 did not have a voltage regulator. Engine casting shows production date July 1937.

What year generator do I have, don't think it's a 1937 as no cut out on top. As a quick fix so I may enjoy the car for the remainder of the season, what year generator can I use with my current set up?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
Hi Bloo,

Thanks for jumping in on this thread. I agree that this is a very unstable configuration. There in no regulation of the current with that 2 coil regulator on a 2 brush generator.

The 1938-39 setup was a 2 coil regulator (cutout & voltage regulation) with a 3 brush generator. The position of the third brush controlled the amperage output.
1 member likes this
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
As mentioned I have a new 3 brush three brush Delco Universal generator and instructions for using it with a volt. control.
It is basically a 1938 style generator. The third brush is set to maximum 30 amp charge for use with voltage control.

$65 + shipping which could run $40 due to weight,
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.