Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Thread Like Summary
Harpo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#473900 09/04/2022 9:03 PM
by Marshallfam3
Marshallfam3
Hey guys I just picked up a beautiful 1953 210 2 post for my family to get into the classic car life! I absolutely love it . But like any classic car it has issues and or things I would like to change or improve upon! First of all the brakes the car has mustang ii front end with disc however previous owner added a cam subsequently since the brake booster is vacuum fed it has lost substantial vacuum pressure with the cam…. Curious if anyone has has similar issues or way to fix I’m leaning towards hydroboost set up.? Also they installed mid 80’s steering tilt column but added a steering wheel I don’t like at all I want to go back to the original style wheel but I’m concerned it won’t bolt up to the 80’s column.? Thanks in advance I’ll try to post a pic of the car below
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#473906 Sep 4th a 11:05 PM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
With respect to the engine vacuum for the brakes, you first need to get some data. What vacuum reading do you have at idle? How does that compare to what the booster requires?

You should investigate electric vacuum pumps for cars. Many turbocharged vehicles require one. Those engines can operate in boost mode for extended times so there is obviously no vacuum to run a booster.

Changing the steering wheel will be a case of finding a steering wheel that you like that has a hub to match the splines and taper of the steering shaft. You might go to some of your local cruise-ins and car shows that have custom cars and rods. Those owners might have some ideas.

A big factor to consider is what diameter steering wheel works well with the overall steering ratio in the car. In these older cars the steering wheels were larger diameter to provide leverage for steering.
1 member likes this
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (modiol, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.