Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Thread Like Summary
Stovblt
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by CochinaPatina36
CochinaPatina36
I have a chance right now to get a 1939 GMC COE.

It has beautiful patina. So from the research I've done these seems to only be less than 1000 total units. It is a Le Roi compressor truck.

The guy wants an arm and a leg and won't budge on price. What are your guys thoughts? I'd throw it on a modern drive train and frame.

It's at the high end of the market buts it's proper for what it is.

Does anyone have any real info on how many were made and if it's worth getting. With the market right now it could drop in price , or just stay there. Gotta pay to play sometimes with these things. They never really come up for sale too often. It's basically 95% rust free. Maybe more
Liked Replies
by 35Mike
35Mike
So...what you want to do is take a truck that is like no other truck and turn into a truck that is like a bunch of other trucks.
I am amazed that COE trucks were ignored by the old car hobby until someone had the idea to put one on a modern chassis and make it into a pickup. From that time on, everybody and his brother wants a COE to make into another "cookie cutter" "patina" street rod truck. I have not seen an original idea in this genre in the last 15 years.
Yes, definitely buy it, cut it up, put it on your modern chassis with the Cummins. Be sure to bag it, etc, etc, etc. Since it is a COE, you will not have to locate and incorporate the obligatory tractor grille. This will save you some time. Get one of those plastic rats to take along when you display it and if you can find one, the little boy doll that has the hat on backwards and leans against the truck like he is crying. These were all unique ideas, once, a long time ago, when I still had a full head of hair.
My brothers and I have 5 COE Chevy trucks from 1940/1946. I would rather see them sink out of sight in the Mighty Missouri than for them to meet with the aforementioned fate.
You did ask for our thoughts, didn't you?

Mike
1 member likes this
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (CarDC, Nick_in_Manitou, JEC51, m006840, Jeff1951), 65 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,053
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.