Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#470474 06/05/2022 1:30 AM
by Jeff1951
Jeff1951
Hello All,
I am looking for a knife style battery disconnect for my 51, 6 volt battery. I now have a green knob type disconnect but it is unreliable on this car. Works great in the Corvette but here, not so much. All the switches I see on Amazon say 12-24 volts but I don't see why they wouldn't work on a 6 volt system- it's just a switch, right. What do you all think?
Thanks!
Jeff
Liked Replies
#470750 Jun 11th a 05:21 PM
by bloo
bloo
It is not the voltage rating that needs attention, it is the current (Amps). Anything will be fine for a voltage rating. To do the same work at 6 volts you need double the current that you need at 12 volts, and four times the current you need at 24 volts. Thanks to Ohms Law, an ohm of resistance is a bigger problem at 6 volts than it is at 12 or 24. These are the reasons 6V battery cables are so big.

The extra current needed at 6 volts drastically increases the likelihood that the cutoff switch will interfere with starting, and the possibility that the switch will melt. What you need for 6 volts is a switch that is huge and well built. Look for one for a fire truck or a big bus. Those will likely be 12v or 24v vehicles. When old car people who work on electrical systems a lot say you need a 6v switch, what they REALLY mean is that you need a really big switch that can handle double the current (or more) than a 12v car needs without overheating, melting, or adding enough resistance to cause slow cranking. If some vendor is offering a switch that is only rated for 6 volts, and it is smaller or cheaper than the others, that is absolutely not the one you need.

A good switch may be shocking for price.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.