Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Roddabaz
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Roddabaz
Roddabaz
Can anyone shed any light on why the floor change gear selection in my (just purchased) 1939 Master sedan should be described as vague? Is the gear lever a direct fit into the top of the box or is there any linkage? Once I get the car - this time next week - I'll do some investigation but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Liked Replies
by jack39rdstr
jack39rdstr
Originally Posted by Roddabaz
Thanks for that information Jack, will definitely look carefully at those points. As you are in Oz where do you get your spares from and where is the shift tower repair kit from?
Originally Posted by jack39rdstr
When you inspect the top mounted gear shift, you may find that the cross pin though the ball in the shift lever has flat spots worn on it instead of being round it is about 8mm diameter, the shift retainer housing that bolts to the top of the gearbox also wears in the corresponding mating point. There is new shift tower repair parts that replace the part with a bronze bushing / fitting. A new pin will also need to be made to suit.

Autopartsobsolete.com has 4 of the brass castings to fit in the shifter tower, it is a champ items brand no 973. 1937 to 1939 gear shift lever ball socket retainer ring. Ignore the retainer ring part of the description, it fits into tubular retainer assembly after you remove the old worn part.
1 member likes this
by jack39rdstr
jack39rdstr
1939 Chevrolets in the UK. were originally 6 volt batteries negative ground, The same as in the USA, and Australia,
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.