Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Wallhangers
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#469149 04/21/2022 12:35 PM
by Wallhangers
Wallhangers
Thanks for adding me to VCCA! I'm helping a local widow sell the last of 5 antique cars that her husband bought decades ago. The others were Model A and Model T cars. This one is a Chevy. I'm told it may be a 1930. I joined here to find pictures of similar cars. What do I need to look for to determine the year model? Where can I find the serial/vin number of the car that I can use on a Kansas Bill of Sale? The car is really rough even though it's been kept inside for decades. Thanks in advance! Jon Patton Tribune, KS.
Liked Replies
#469189 Apr 22nd a 03:06 AM
by 35Mike
35Mike
As I said in my earlier post, the Fisher Body tag on the engine side of the firewall, will be THE UNDISPUTED item for identifying the car.

Mike
1 member likes this
#469196 Apr 22nd a 11:41 AM
by Tiny
Tiny
Unless things have changed since I titled my 38 (I live in Ark City) the original title was done using the engine number as the VIN and that number needed to be displayed to the inspector. If it still has the original engine in it, and if you plan to keep it, you can use that for your new title. I do know things have relaxed a bit in Kansas in respect to the person doing the title inspection having to know what they're doing. When I got my 53 inspected for title transfer the inspector listed the model as "Powerglide" because that's on the trunk. I didn't notice until after the paperwork had been done and had to pay another titling fee to get it corrected. My 53 came out of Oklahoma where they used the serial number on the driver side A pillar as the VIN. Whatever number they choose to use, as long as it stays on the car, you're good to go. Since Kansas was an engine number state a LOT of folks run in to titling issues because they buy a vehicle which has had the engine replaced sometime in it's life without the title being reissued with a new VIN. Now they're trying to get the title put in their name and the "VIN" on the title is no longer on the vehicle.
1 member likes this
#469198 Apr 22nd a 02:23 PM
by 35Mike
35Mike
Part of Jim's original request was to figure out the year model of the car. The body tag is the reliable source for this info. The engine could be from a different year Chevy or from a Peterbilt. If he wants accurate information for a bill of sale or title application, He needs the body tag decoded. The car is what the body tag says it is.

Mike
1 member likes this
#469218 Apr 23rd a 02:29 AM
by Chipper
Chipper
The car is clearly a 1930 from the body tag. You are correct the engine casting number 835501 is either a 1929 or 1930 so the casting date is needed to determine which. Yes, my earlier post of 825501 was obviously a typo (at least to me, sorry).
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.