Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Ed_Osier
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#468078 03/21/2022 2:12 PM
by ABowlin
ABowlin
Hi,

Need help identifying a part that is on the side of the manifold. I know it has a sort of flat coil spring inside, that I believe is busted. What is this? Any idea on how / where to grab a replacement?

Thanks!
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#468127 Mar 22nd a 02:03 PM
by 35Mike
35Mike
Unless you are experiencing some problem that you think is related to a stuck heat riser valve (flapper), Your truck will operate in a normal way with little or no noticeable affect. There are thousands of our old Chevys driving around with inoperable heat risers. Long term, it is a good idea to have this functioning, but short term, not something to obsess about. MY OPINION, others might disagree.
If you decide to rebuild it, stainless parts are recommended.

Mike
1 member likes this
#468158 Mar 23rd a 04:21 PM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
Hi Ed,

Thanks for adding that detail. Yes, the manifolds have to be bolted together to properly plane them.

I was lucky on my ‘37. The manifolds were not distorted so I did not need to have them planed. The one trick I learned was to attach them firmly to the head while the nuts that held the 2 manifolds together were just finger tight. Then I did a final tightening on everything.

I am referring to all the studs and nuts in the exhaust system. That includes the ones that hold the manifold to the head, the ones that hold the manifolds together, and the ones that clamp the exhaust pipe to the manifold. If you have to replace the heat riser valve you will have to take the manifolds apart.

No matter how many tricks I use (penetrating oil, letting the engine run to heat things up, a torch to heat the nut, 6 point sockets, try to tighten first, etc) my success rate is only about 90%. That is my overall experience doing manifold and exhaust system work on multiple cars regardless of their age. Those other 10% are always a pain to fix!
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.