Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
bloo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by HHT
HHT
Hello:

I'm having issues with engine starts in my 54 Chevy Bel Air. It is still equipped with a 6V. I've had the starter, carburetor, voltage regulator, battery and spark plugs replaced/rebuilt. I've also had the fuel tank cleaned and reinstalled.

It starts great with starter fluid and as long as you keep starting the engine once every few hours it starts great. When the car sits for a day or two then it doesn't start. It appeares that no fuel is getting into the carburetor.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
Liked Replies
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
For starting a cold engine, if everything is working correctly, You first depress the gas pedal half way and then take your foot off the gas pedal and crank the engine. If the choke is closing like it should and the cam on the carb. sets up the fast idle the engine should start - and I should add the acelerator pump in the carb.shooting in some gas....
The other problem the gas is evaporing from the carb. bowl which is common with todays gas.
Also check the exhaust manifold heat riser. If it is stuck closed and over heating the gas in the carb. it wil give a problem.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.