Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Dave39MD
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by jay32249
jay32249
Hello All,Well after sitting idle for three years I am back to work on my 1931.I have owned the car for 13 years and never have I dropped the oil pan.I have the necessary gasket from Filling Station.My question is what am I going to be finding concerning the dippers,etc.
Is it just drop the pan,clean out the goop,install new gaskets,replace the pan and go or are there going to be some goblins flying around to complicate life down under? Thanks for all replies !!
Liked Replies
by Stovblt
Stovblt
I sprayed on some Permatex High Tack.
I don't remember what had to be done on a 194/207 six, but on 216's, the side gaskets can not be applied to the pan first.
They MUST be stuck to the block first, and the end cork gasket pieces stuck on to the bearing caps with the ends over top of the side gaskets.
Cutting the heads off several long 1/4"-20 bolts to make guide studs and screwing them into the block first helps a lot in keeping the gaskets in place while lifting the pan into position.
Good luck!
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.