Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The adjuster was not working when I got it so I removed it, cleaned it thoroughly of decades of gunk, and it is operable again, though a couple of teeth are missing on the passenger side gear. The bottom back of the seat carriage has rollers, but they hardly operate on the carpet on the back seat floor. Originally would there have been any carpet there, or a rubber mat that the rollers might work on better? Photo attached. Thanks for any wisdom.

Attached Images
Confederate seat roller 1.jpg Confederate seat roller 2.jpg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The rear carpet had a cut-out where the roller tracked.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Those rollers are made of sheet steel formed around a wood core. They don’t roll very good. I improved the design by using some sealed bearings. Somewhere here in the forums I posted my retro fit.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can you tell me what would originally have been on the floor of my Special? Carpet throughout or just in the back seat and front seat rubber? Interesting about the cutouts for the front seat rollers. I think my car is virtually all original mohair upholstery on the doors sides and ceiling, the tan or taupe called for as trim 17. All in surprisingly excellent condition. But the seats are a maroon, well worn and possibly original to another vehicle maybe? Assume I should have them redone properly. I got the Filling Station repro rubber flooring but haven't installed it and won't until I know with certainty what should be on the floor. I got the car with full tan carpeting laid over a matting that is glued to the wooden floor. On the doors the upholstery is attached with small tan colored Phillips screws that show, which seems odd, though not intrusive. Is that correct?

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Rubber bowtie molded front mat and rear carpet that is held down with snaps. The door panels do not attach with screws but are nailed on. I think only tan and gray were the choices for interior color on the sedan.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks. Very helpful. I'll post a closeup of the screw holding door and post panels in place.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ignore the above. I've put photos of the door panel screw heads in a new thread headed Confederate Door Panel Screws. Couldn't find how to get an attachment with the photo on this thread. Still learning!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
On the rubber floor mat, the Filling Station kit came with a roll of fiber matting. Is this to go under the rubber mat? What holds the rubber mat down, its own weight? Seems to me it could curl easily. And the carpet for the rear seat, any suggestion as to what kind of carpet--color, pile, etc.? How many snaps hold it down, and where are they to be located? Sorry for so many questions.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The fiber matting is not as original. The rubber mat was all that was used and has no retainers . It is soft rubber and I have had it for 23 years and it has not curled. I do treat it with WD-40 every few years. The rear carpet on my 32 has 3 snaps on each side outer edge -frt- ctr-and rear. I believe they are correctly placed but it is a replacement carpet from Hampton Coach and is cut wool pile.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for all this. Most helpful. When I take up the matting that is glued to the floor under the rear carpet I should see the location where the snaps once were.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Any chance you could send a photo of what the snaps look like so I can get the right ones?

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Sure. may take a day or so. Also an FYI when replying to a post hit the reply button on the post by the person you want to reply to.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Oh, got it. Still new at this. And thanks for photos of snaps.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Photos attached. I think any good upholstery shop/supplier should have the snaps.

Attached Images
DSCN0643.JPG DSCN0644.JPG DSCN0645.JPG DSCN0646.JPG
Last edited by m006840; 06/09/23 03:51 PM.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
This is perfect. Thanks so much. The trim in my car is all tan or taupe as called for in trim 17, but the front and back seats, top and bottom, are faded maroon mohair, with years of wear on them. The button pattern in the tufting of the upholstery is exactly the same as what I am seeing in restored Confederates. Makes me wonder if it was possible that Chevy offered combinations of color for upholstery and trim? After all, my car's trim number is 17, so I have to wonder if there weren't several other colors available and perhaps combinations as a custom order?

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I am not aware of any other factory options. other than the gray and tan.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for your previous advice. I took up the carpeting put down in the last restoration, spent two hours scraping off the fiber cushion and rock-hard cement, and got the back seat floor down to the metal. It revealed 5 of the 6 snaps still in place, maybe 4 of them usable. New questions arise. Was the original carpet cut pile or loop? How far forward did the carpet go, all the way up and beside the seat adjustment bracket to meet the bottom of the rubber front floor mat? If not there will be some exposed metal or wood flooring. How far back did the carpet extend? Just to the edge of the riser for the front of the back seat, or up the riser meet the seat bottom? If the latter, what should the front of the riser be covered with? The metal plate beneath the carpeting is very irregular in surface, lots of depressions and a few high spots. Should I try to make up for that with a bit of thin padding, or just let it go? Sorry for all the questions but you have been a big help. I'll try to post some photos to show what I mean.

Best, Jack

Attached Images
Chevy rear floor 1.jpg Chevy rear floor 2.jpg Chevy rear floor 3.jpg Chevy rear floor 4.jpg Chevy rear floor 5.jpg
Last edited by JackDavis; 08/01/23 08:29 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
And while I am at it, attached are some photos of the back seat. They show the bottom seat and the wooden frame showing below it covered with a tan vinyl, clearly not kosher. What should the covering be? I am also unsure how to get the back of the seat out. I see some screws underneath it at the back that appear to be attached to struts extending upwards, and the seat back may be attached to these?

Attached Images
Chevy seat back 1.jpg Chevy seat back 2.jpg Chevy seat back 3.jpg Chevy back seat 1.jpg Chevy back seat 2.jpg Chevy back seat 3.jpg Chevy back seat 4.jpg Chevy back seat 5.jpg
Last edited by JackDavis; 08/01/23 08:38 PM.
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I'll take a look tomorrow. I should be able to remove the rear carpet and measure it. My carpet came from Hampton Coach and their catalog list it as Non-Original" but I do not know why. They do indicate that the earlier years (25-32) were "wool square weave" however on the packing list for my kit the carpet item printed number was crossed out and a number penciled in. I'll post the layout of my carpet and if not as original I am sure someone will chime in.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Many, many thanks. I apologize for being a pest. Jack

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The rear carpet is approximately. 27" deep. There is a slot/cut-out on each side that is 3" deep for the track of the front seat and behind that is a vinyl pad for the foot rest to set on. . The back rolls up about an inch in front of the back seat riser which is vinyl covered. As I mentioned above mine is not original but rather a Hampton Coach reproduction so not sure how exact it is. If someone has an original that would be great and perhaps we will both benefit if they could verify.

Last edited by m006840; 08/02/23 06:37 PM.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks much. That is a great start on pinning down what it should be.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.