Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#482065 05/26/23 10:37 PM
jake55 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Does anyone have the Blue prints, measurements, Drawings or a Post I could use for a pattern? Or one For Sale?
Jake in McAllister, Montana 406-270-863

RogerBashland ohio
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Are both sides deteriorated in the same areas? They will be mirror images of each other so you might be able to use parts of each to duplicate the posts.

Another option is to use some scrap lumber to make a post and try it. I have had to make 4 patterns that way before I got one that worked well. Be aware that someone had to use that process when the post was first made.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
jake55 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Mine has been cut right at the bottom of the dash and some one put a scrap piece in that is also rotton. The passenger side is good but I really dont want to tear that side out.

RogerBashland ohio
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chipper
Another option is to use some scrap lumber to make a post and try it. I have had to make 4 patterns that way before I got one that worked well. Be aware that someone had to use that process when the post was first made.

Instead of wood you can easily cut Styrofoam for a pattern.

J Franklin
ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Couple of comments:
1. It may not be necessary to remove the good passenger side. Measure carefully what you can see and get access. Make cardboard patterns as best you can of every surface, hole, etc. Cut out the pattern as accurately as you can. Single sided razor blades or Exacto knifes are great. You can also use the band saw Use the "backside" to make the mirror image post. Once you have it close mount and hang the door noting the fit. Make adjustments by cutting out, filling in or relocating. Not a problem to glue on some wood pieces to make adjustments. Once you have the door, dash, etc. where you want them, make the final out of good hard wood. You may need to make supports or "sleds" to make some compound cuts but they can be out of nearly anything handy. Good quality wood glue will set in 1/2 hour so making adjustments can be relatively quick.

2. Styrofoam may be easier to work but you can't test fit the door using it.

It may seem to be a lot of work but when you know the wood pattern can be adjusted from mistakes it takes a lot of stress and time out of the fabrication. An extra hole or gouge doesn't matter as long as you mark them to not duplicate.

jake55 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I was just hopeing that maybe someone changed theirs and kept the old one. Thought it was worth a shot.

RogerBashland ohio
ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Someone might find one and recognize it in the pile of kindling for the fireplace but with the time required for that to happen and then add on the delay in shipping, emails, phone calls to verifying, etc. it might be six months in the future before you get it. If it was perfect not likely to have been replaced so you would need to make some adjustments.

I learned after way too many years to kill something today instead of waiting for something a little better (or easier) to come into sight.

1 member likes this: J Franklin
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I might be asking the obvious, but have you contacted the Wood Vendors in the G&D?

Mike B

Mike Boteler
1935 Master Technical Advisor
jake55 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Yes I have and everyone is so far behind

RogerBashland ohio
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Jake.... You might call the wood venders back... and ask them if they would sell you a copy of the paper pattern that they use to reproduce that door post... offer them the same amount of money as you would pay them for the actual wood post... then, use that pattern to make your own at home.... worth a try.. with just a phone call.....

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Chipper, perez), 41 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.