Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tiny Offline OP
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
A couple of years ago I outfitted the garage with HF 4' LED shop lights. <CLICK> I put up about a dozen of them to cover the whole garage (30x40). They have a total of maybe 50 hours on them since I don't spend a ton of time out there. I noticed one out yesterday so it seems the claimed 30,000 hour lifespan is a bit of a stretch. I'm expecting the rest to start failing now. I've not had much good luck with HF tools but I thought I'd try again. Wrong.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
In general I have been disappointed with the life of any of LED bulbs or fixtures I have purchased. It is not just a Harbor Freight issue.

The conventional shaped A19 LED bulbs that I use in outside light fixtures maybe only last maybe 4000 hours maximum. The brands vary based on whether I buy at Menards, Costco, or where ever. They are on every night overnight for about 10 hours. Some only last maybe 2 months or 600 hours. All of the packages claim "up to 20,000 hours of life".

Obviously that is not a statistically significant number!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I used 2 LED bulbs outside that stay on 100% of the time and they seem to last a long time. I think the on-off cycles are what shorten the life.

J Franklin
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have the same one Harbor Freight sells but bought it at Runnings. Around me Ace, Runnings and another store had the identical light. Picked up a bunch of them when we were doing body work on the car to mount on post and shine on the side of the car. Later mounted them over the work bench etc. The ones that are on for long periods of time seem to last longer than the ones that are turned on and off. I have old fluorescents that while not as bright have outlasted the LEDs. This all said the LEDs are brighter and more importantly safer. Even with the plastic tubes covering the bulbs I have shattered the fluorescents more than once. Never took out an LED like that. Also out in my shed there is no issue with temperature in the winter.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Tiny Offline OP
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I replaced it with one from Wally World. We'll see how long it lasts. Back to HF tools. Years ago I bought sawsall metal blades that ended up losing their teeth trying to cut an aluminum tube. I bought an angle die grinder, lubed it up and it locked up 10 seconds into use. I bought a biscuit notch cutter for a woodworking project I had, got home with it and the biscuits they sell for it only to find out no commercially available biscuits fit the notch their cutter makes, even the biscuits they sell. One would think I'd eventually learn.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Interesting general discussion.

I agree that the issue seems to be more the electronics than the LED itself. Even with conventional filament bulbs the life is shorter when they are cycled.

With respect to Harbor Freight, I agree that it is a buyer beware scenario. Over the last 3 - 5 years they have introduced higher quality lines of tools that do have better life and performance. They still offer the bottom end items like Central Pneumatic, Pittsburgh, Drill Master, and Chicago Electric. Tiny is correct that the durability of their consumable items like blades and bits can be pretty bad.

Currently I seem to be having better results buying from Northern Tool.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have the Bauer line of power tools and have been presently surprised. Bought the drill kit with a battery, drill and charger for $50 and it has been through everything. All of the Bauer cordless tools I have found to be great as DYI / Ryobi level tools.

For consumables the Hercules blades and Bauer bits I have found to be great for the price. Avoid the Warrior and other ones the have at all cost.

For hand tools I have found the Icon ratchets to be excellent. I have a few of the Doyle pliers and they are not as good as my Carlyle but I have no complaints either. The one Pittsburg Pro flex head ratchet I have is decent. Avoid the Pittsburg tools, yes the have a Pittsburg Pro and a Pittsburg line.

The Pittsburg Pro cars and tool chest are great for the price. I have two of the 5 drawer carts and one of the 32 inch top and bottom chest sets. I actually sold my Snap On and Kennedy chest after buying the carts. For home DIY storage these cannot be beat and people paid more for my used stuff than my new ones cost me.

There is a place for cheep tools. I needed thin wrenches for some fittings. Bought a set of Pittsburg wrenches and ground them to the width I needed. $10 full thin wrench set. Putting together emergency kits for each car I fill in missing tools with Pittsburg Pro tools.

They are much better that they were years back. Issue is you have to be careful as they never remove the cheap stuff, they just added the better stuff on top of it.

Their warranty on tools cannot be beat. I have had no issue ever walking in with a broken hand tool and walking out with a replacement. I have even broken old ones that are not made anymore and they gave me the higher line that they do carry at no charge. It is like Sears was in that respect in the good old days.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (chevy b, Hawkeye), 54 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,047
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.