Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#481945 05/23/23 10:55 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have found that the mid pipe for my 87 Monte Carlo with a 4.3 seems to be made of unobtainium. It has a small hole in it and I want to drive it until I can get one custom made or find a replacement.

Do any of the muffler putty products actually work? This is a small hole on the top of the pipe on a bend. I know the best option is to replace but looking to make a temporary fix till I can get the part and get the time to do the proper fix. Is it worth the $12 and 30 min?

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
It might be easier to just use some tin and clamp it on with hose clamps. If you use the putty I would still use the tin and hose clamps. A pop or beer can would work just may not last very long.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I use JB weld and cut a tin can piece and clamp over that.... will last for about a year...with frequent use....

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Being on a bend does complicate the repair. I agree that an aluminum can and muffler cement will give a decent temporary repair.

Make sure the clamps are stainless steel. You might try to put one over the center of the bend. I would consider connecting a couple of smaller diameter clamps that will also be narrower.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Bought some JB Weld steel putty, will try it this weekend and see what happens. It was $9.99 at Auto Zone. If I get a season out of it I will be happy.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Put the steel putty on the hole and let it dry overnight. Taken the car out twice since then and it appears to have done the job. If it develops a new hole or the patch fails I will just have to get a custom pipe bent but until that time I am hoping to get as many mile as I can out of this pipe. The hole was on the seam. Overall the pipe looks good. Unfortunately it is probably rusting from the inside out.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Why not take it to a good muffler shop? You will probably do it at sometime, and with inflation it will cost a bunch more then.

Last edited by J Franklin; 05/29/23 11:39 AM.

J Franklin
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I agree that I should do it correctly. The muffler on the car is at least 9 tears old if not more as is the tail pipe. I have never touched any of it since buying the car in 2013/14. If another part also goes I may put a 1 in 2 out exhaust on it similar to what the Grand National had. If I have to go with a custom pipe I am going to have the muffler and everything done to match.

Also right now my main focus is on the 41. The 87 is our driver for the summer. Anything more serious than a leak would get a proper fix.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.