Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#480304 04/01/23 05:58 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My 1920 Chevrolet 490 is almost ready to drive! We've replaced the clutch leather and it seems to go into all 3 forward gears and reverse! Only thing is the shifter lever seems loose or sloppy! Anyone have some advice on tightening up the action of the shifter??
Thanks...Craig

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
How does the “Gear shift lever ball grip” look?
If it is not threaded probably it is the same as on my 1922. Part #H332 in the Parts list.
I cut a piece of armoured rubber mat, 1.5-2 millimeters thick, punch a round hole in the middle, large enough to press it over the ball on the lever. Then adjust with the spring loaded (?) screws. I guess you have the springs to keep the ball grip? When driving, keep an eye on the screws that holds the ball grip. As the rubber mat piece gets worn, maybe you should tighten a bit before the lever gets sloppy.
For me it works fine say 500 miles, maybe more. Then I have to make a new one.

Per-Åke Larsson
1 member likes this: Avatar
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the response swedechev! If you're talking about the shifter knob that seems to be nice and tight! My problem is where the shifter lever goes into the transmission. It shifts into all gears, but seems to be loose and somewhat sloppy. I'm hoping there's an easy fix to tighten up the action of the shift lever.
Thanks...Craig

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I think the 490's had a couple of different shapes of the shifter lever. See the attached pictures from my 1922, there you can see the "ball" on the end of the shift lever, where the lever goes into the rear part of the transmission lid, kind of a consol behind the transmission. See picture.

Attached Images
IMG_2059.JPG IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2039.JPG

Per-Åke Larsson
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the pics swedechev, now I understand what you're talking about. I guess I'll just have to take mine apart to see what's going on. It does shift into all gears, but it just feels loose or sloppy. I'm hoping to find that something just needs to be tightened up a little!!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Great suggestion from SwedeChev. I just added a rubber washer between the shifter ball and the socket near the transmission cover so the shifter feels 'snug' and not loose and sloppy. '20 490.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.