Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#481274 05/03/23 12:42 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi guys. Having major issue with my ‘28 National AB.
PROBLEM: starts almost immediately even after sitting for a few days and runs great for about 10 secs. After that, chokes and begins missing and spitting and erratically galloping. Dumps a gallon of gas into oil per minute lol. Half a tank inside oil pan in less than 15 minutes of idling. Spark plugs 1 & 2 - wet and lightly warm even after few minutes of idling. Plugs 3 & 4 sooted like chimney but reach temperature. Black/gray
Smoke from exhaust. Doesn’t stall if throttle open at least half way on the steering wheel. Runs but lacks power, especially uphill.
APRIORI:
Recently rebuilt the carb carter RAKX0 and it seems to be fine (except home-brew idle screw and JB weld touch up lol). Started messing with the distributor but can’t find any resources on it.
Any help is highly appreciated. I’m still a rookie.

Bill
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I am confused by the description particularly the amount of gas to the oil. I don't know of a path for that much gas into the oil in the claimed amount of time. Might seem to be that much but actually likely near zero.

I suspect you have a problem with your vacuum fuel pump if you are using one. If the valves don't operate correctly gas can be drawn directly into the intake manifold creating what you are experiencing. A leaking float is likely the problem. Disconnect the line from the manifold to the top of the vacuum tank and plug the end to the manifold. A piece of masking tape can be enough. If that stops the poor running you have discovered the source.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
If running a vacuum tank, check as Chipper said. If running electric fuel pump that will be the problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.