Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#481182 04/30/23 07:27 PM
Augie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I purchased a '35 panel in pieces and was told the motor was rebuilt. It appears its never been run since. I'm getting ready to fire it up and wanted to know the proper way to break it in. Suggestions for oil would be great too. TIA.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Augie. If the motor has been rebuilt and never run it will be difficult to turn over with the 6 volt starter. May have to use 12 volt battery. I would remove the plugs and spray some oil in the cylinders. Use 10w-30 oil in the sump and prime the oiling system with an electric drill inserted in the distibutor mounting hole until the oil comes out the rocker shaft. Use cheap light mineral oil and keep motor speed at fast idle if it starts. Change the oil when the motor has warmed up to remove cast iron particles from the rings suspended in the oil.Good Luck.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Also do not idle at low engine speed a for the first 1000 miles keep road speed down to 35 MPH and vary the speed,
If it were mine I would use 5W-20 oil for break-in for the firs 500 miles.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I agree with Gene and withwannchev

A squirt of oil in each spark plug hole sounds like a good idea.
And priming the oil system with a drill and screw driver shank is mandatory in my opinion to fill the oil troughs once the engine is sitting upright in the vehicle and will stay that way.
I also agree that 5W-20 is the right weight of oil for break-in, and in fact in my opinion it is the right oil to keep using from then on as well.
The old dipper oiled Chevs lubricate best with light oils.

I do nearly the same thing wannchev does,
I change oil very soon after first starting.
Even when I buy a new car, I drive it home to the shop and change oil.
I would however use a high quality oil for ALL fills.

And as said by Gene and wannchev...
no slow idling!

Ole S Olson
1 member likes this: Augie

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.