Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#480699 04/15/23 10:47 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
I saw a listing for an NOS aftermarket anti clutch chatter kit. Do these kits work? My 51 does have a bit of chatter at low rpm's but, if given adequate engine speed, it is very smooth. I don't mean "racing" the engine but more than I thought would be necessary. Thoughts?
Jeff

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
That was almost a normal problem wen they were new,
First make sure all the motor munts are OK

iS IT WORSE WHEN HOT?

We would drain THE TRANSMISSION and filll wit 140 gear oil'

The new style of engine mounting in 1952 helped to eleminate this problem,

Chevrolet reffered to it as "gear rattle'.

iT WAS always more problematic on cars with torque tube drive (enclosed drive shaft).

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Chev Nut- thanks for the reply. I replaced the original engine mounts and transmission mounts with NOS GM parts soon after I got the car 5 years ago. The car has just over 22,000 miles on it but age and some oil made me suspicious of their condition. It has the original drive train including the torque tube. When the car is cold the choke speeds up the engine enough so that there is no chatter. When the choke is off I need to up the engine speed 100 RPM or so. That's not much. I like to adjust the carb/engine speed to the lowest RPM that still gives a good idle. I just thought that if this kit does help I would give it a try. I don't want to waste money on useless junk.
Jeff

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Jeff

Some of us like to set our idle speed higher.
Slow idle speeds result in much less oil being thrown up on the cylinder walls and camshaft and lifters.
I've always considered a slow idle to be the second worst thing I could do to an engine.

If raising the RPMs a hundred revs eliminates the problem, why not try setting your idle there?
It's been a while since I had a tack on mine, but I think I'm between 500 and 600 RPM.

Last edited by Stovblt; 04/15/23 12:07 PM.

Ole S Olson
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Stovblt,
That's good advise. I'm not sure what the actual rpm is and you may be right that it is actually too low at idle. It sure does run smoothy though. I will try upping it some and see what it does. Of course I could just give it a little choke and that will do the same thing although it will richen the mixture. I think trucks had a second cable that ran to the carb to do exactly that without richening.
Jeff

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Wne ithe engine is cold it does not chatter.....this is because the gear oil is thick and taking up the gaps and eleminatimg the gear rattle....thus the 140 oil can do the same ting and why I always used 85W-140 gear oil in my transmissions.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 04/15/23 10:23 PM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Update-
I bid on the anti clutch chatter kit that I mentioned in my original post but did not win the auction. But, using the photos attached to the listing, I fabricated all the parts and installed it as prescribed in the directions. It worked! With the engine warmed up completely and the choke off, I could not get the clutch to chatter no matter how slow I let the engine speed to go. I made the brackets out of 1/8" flat steel and used a 3/8" threaded rod. I found some old shock bushings and sliced them to thickness that looked right.
Thanks to all who chimed in to help me out.
Jeff

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.