Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#480420 04/05/23 07:17 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Because the answer to this question covers several years, I'll ask art here in the forum,

Nothing gives me more trouble than installing a fuel pump on a 41. I have been trying to get one in most of yesterday and today. No way. When I do get in it decides not to pump. stressed

Question are there any suggestions before I put a 45 round through the block? Yes, I feel like it. I get it on sometimes and then the d-- thing won't pump. How can that be?

While down there trying to get the bolts in they just fall out and I have to scramble under the car to find them and get them out. I am now using a length of heater hose to lasso them. The last time before I quit for the day one of the bolts and washers disappeared. Maybe it want into the crankcase, I don't know and I not worried about it. What harm can it do owing that it will most likely just sit in the bottom of the pan. I go get another bolt and washer. Several of them. Sounds like a plan to me.

Anyone have any ideas for me on how to make this always dreadful job easier? If so please help. dance

Thanks a heap,

Charlie computer

BTW: I ani't getting any younger and what used to be enjoyable and easy isn't so much fun anymore. You know.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Charlie,
Get the kid next door or down the block to put it on. Make sure he (or she) knows which end of the wrench to use first.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Charlie,
know where you are coming from and share he same feelings.. potty

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
One trick for me that reduced the agony was turning the engine over so the fuel pump cam lobe was not pushing on the lever. It still takes some finesse to get the bolts started but you are not fighting the spring pressure

I also glue the gasket to the pump so I am not fighting to keep it in position.

The third trick is to use a long bolt temporarily so you can get at least one started.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Thanks for the advice I've received so far.

Chipper, I'm talking about a stinking' fuel pump here not a cell phone. Although for the latter you would be "right on." Agrin

Rusty, what you advised will be helpful. Thanks. dance

Best

Charlie computer

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
run an electric fuel pump

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
The rest of the story:

Lost bolt. Went to Northern Tools and bought a couple magnets to help me search for the lost bolt down the fuel pump hole. That didn't work

Went and bought another bolt and washer. Later while putting the fuel pump off and on I ended up loosing another bolt and washer, Again probing with magnets produced a "no joy."

Was about ready to go buy another bolt but thought: I may be missing just where the bolt had gone if not in the oil pan. Crawled under the front of the car and felt all along all places they could have gone. Lo and behold! I found both of them about midway on the backside of the crossmember flange. They both were right there in the same place.

Reinstalled the new fuel pump from O'Riellys. No joy. Tried it again. Still no joy. (This was about umpteenth time I had installed this fuel pump with no joy each time. My new starter fluid can was getting pretty light. Now the way I figure this is that if you get the new pump on it has to pump when the cam lobe comes around. Right? Checked the arm on the pump against the old one. Same angle. So what in the world os going on here? Took a length of hose and sucked on the fuel ling where it meets the pump. Got joy! Plenty of gas right there. Put the pump back on again. More tries with the starter fluid. No joy.

What to do, what to do. Frustrated I choose to visit my pile of old correct fuel pumps (with bowl) and see if any had and suction when mashing the lever down. Several did emit the "sore throat Bull Frog hick-up". I selected the best looking one and put it on. Just two times with starting fluid and the engine caught and was running on its own. Imagine that!

Owing to the my lack of faith in the old pump's diaphram (sp) lasting very long, I'm gonna choose two more my old sucking pumps and the new one and put them in the trunk and make sure I put the necessary 1/2 inch and 9/16 line wrenches in there too.

I envy any of you who can just go to the store and buy a fuel pump for an old 216, 207 or 235 or whatever andput the sucker on and it then function as it should without the problems and headaches I encounter. Do too!

Thanks for bearing with me and sharing my pain.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: When on my knees and looking under the car for the second lost bolt, I got over balanced and couldn't arrest met fall toward the concrete floor. Bonked my noggin real hard. Big goose bump on my scull above my right eye. Two days later had the mother of all black eyes. The swelled goose egg can barely be felt there now but the black eye is still slowly, slowly going away. Yes, some two weeks later it is about half gone. Woe is me. I look like I've been caught by a jealous husband and then got the tar beat outta me. (Don't I wish) Do too! danceAgrin

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
The new pumps they sell for the 216 don't work without modification. The flange is too thick for the stock bolt and they are taller so the fuel lines don't match up. At least that's been my experience.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Charlie, Hope your black eye heals soon. You might elicit more sympathy if you post a selfie!

Dave

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Charlie post a selfie? I would pay to see that!

Based on what I am reading in multiple classic vehicle forums and social media there is no such things as a good new fuel pump these days. You are lucky to get one that works out of the box and then don't expect it to last very long.

The best solution appears to be rebuilt original fuel pump.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.