Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Nina Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello, I am trying to find the production date for my best friend’s 1955 Bel Air and have not gotten anywhere. I have learned to decode the VIN, I know it was produced in Kansas City, MO and I even found a production list on danchuk.com that did not produce results for me. Unfortunately, the car is at a friends shop and I do not have access to it right now, although I don’t even know if having access to the car itself would help me determine the production date.

This car is his dream car and he has put an enormous amount of work into her. Saying this is his baby is a severe understatement. (I absolutely love her too) I want to find out the production date to get the month she was “born” as I am making plans for his surprise birthday party. I want to get him vintage gifts from that slice of time and get as close to the month as I can possibly get. The party will be themed and music will have to include popular songs from that year and most specifically from that month.

I apologize it sounds frivolous but this is something I know he would absolutely love. He deserves it. I, unfortunately, do not know where to turn to find this information and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction or can help me figure out the production date. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Last edited by Nina; 04/04/23 12:57 AM.

Nina
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Nina

I believe that unfortunately the last year that the month of production was included as part of the serial number was 1952.
IF the car still has it's original engine, you may be able to find the casting date cast into the engine block.
If so, you could make the assumption that the car was assembled some time shortly after that date.

So, start by casually asking him if the car has it's original engine.
If he answers yes, you may have something to go on.

Good luck!

PS
Not frivolous at all!
Nice gesture actually.

Last edited by Stovblt; 04/04/23 01:35 AM.

Ole S Olson
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Nina
Hello, I am trying to find the production date for my best friend’s 1955 Bel Air and have not gotten anywhere. I have learned to decode the VIN, I know it was produced in Kansas City, MO and I even found a production list on danchuk.com that did not produce results for me. Unfortunately, the car is at a friends shop and I do not have access to it right now, although I don’t even know if having access to the car itself would help me determine the production date.

This car is his dream car and he has put an enormous amount of work into her. Saying this is his baby is a severe understatement. (I absolutely love her too) I want to find out the production date to get the month she was “born” as I am making plans for his surprise birthday party. I want to get him vintage gifts from that slice of time and get as close to the month as I can possibly get. The party will be themed and music will have to include popular songs from that year and most specifically from that month.

I apologize it sounds frivolous but this is something I know he would absolutely love. He deserves it. I, unfortunately, do not know where to turn to find this information and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction or can help me figure out the production date. Any help would be truly appreciated.

I understand your desire to find the production date for your friend's 1955 Bel Air, and your efforts to decode the VIN and search online. However, without access to the car itself, it may be difficult to determine the exact production date. You may want to consider contacting the Chevrolet Historical Services department or the Kansas City Automotive Museum for further assistance in obtaining this information. They may have additional resources or records that can help you narrow down the month of production. Good luck with your search and the surprise party planning!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The coded month of glass production is etched into the original glass. Classic Chevy Club International published a "Restoration and Judging Guidelines Manual" in the 1980s that has information on glass codes as well as other information that might be of help in determining the month of production.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.