Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
PaulS Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

This is a pic from the dash of my 28 capitol truck I would like to remove the handle from the lighting switch and remove , clean the switch can anyone tell me how to remove this handle I am afraid of breaking it thank you

Attached Images
IMG_0462.jpg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Remove unit from dash and then you can disassemble the switch. While your at it you can also clean the switch contacts. Its a pretty simple job.

Last edited by Steelin_Time; 04/02/23 07:03 PM.
PaulS Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
So loosen the unit from the fire wall side, and it will come out towards the cab side?
and to answer my question about the switch handle , it will come loose from a shaft?

Sorry , but I am still confused
I just dont want to break anything

thanks Steelin time

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
to remove the switch from firewall, remove 2 wingnuts behind speedo. You will have to disconnect oil line from oil guage. Oil/amp gauge and light switch will come out the rear and speedo will come out the front. Make sure you mark all wires to correct terminals and remove. You can then bend the metal tabs back on the rear of the switch. Once you get in to it you will see how it goes. They are not hard to do.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Steelin Time beat me to this but here is what I was going to post.

Paul,
There is a rack if you will that all three pods I'll call them (switch, speedo, oil and amp) mount into. The oil and amp gauge along with the light switch/choke pieces are held to that rack with tabs that bend over. Then the speedo goes through the dash face from the front and the rack bolts to the back of it making those other to pods sandwich it from the back. Take the speedo out and you can get that rack down. Then you have to bend tabs to get the part you want off that rack. Once you have that you have to bend more tabs to take that switch mechanism apart being careful to keep track of all pieces and how they fit together. The switch lever itself is stamped aluminum and can be polished up on a wheel to look nice and bright. The trim that goes around the pod is the same and can be polished up nice. Paint the metal face piece and highlight the stamped lettering for "Choke" and put it all back together after cleaning the contacts as recommended above. Just be careful polishing that trim piece if doing it on a wheel. If it catches it bends easy. Ask me how I know.
Hope that helps.
David

Last edited by David_S; 04/03/23 08:46 PM. Reason: late to the party :)
PaulS Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
David and Steelin time

that was just what I did and success!

the contacts were tarnished on both the copper ring and the flat plate

really a cool piece of technology for the time

will put it back tomorrow and try it out

thanks to you all

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.