Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
David_S Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
It was indicated to me in a topic a while back that cowls were different from cars to trucks. I am having some problems with fitting my sheet metal to my 1-ton cab framework (most wood purchased from Jim Rodman)
It is seeming, to get the body lines on the doors lined up with the same body lines on the panels that fit behind the doors, the cab frame work needs to be "racked" in such a way that leaves it not fitting the cowl I have correctly. The cowl I have has the two holes in the lower outside corner on the right side just aft the hood where I assume a "Body by Fischer" tag was located. Actually, the cowl does not seem to fit right even by itself as the nail lip of the cowl under the windshield seems to bump the wood cross bar and the lips that fold around the A pillars are loose when it does, but just up top, not down by the sills. The hinge cutouts of the cowl do line up with the dados for the hinges in the A pillars though.
When I get a chance I will get some pictures, but for now could anyone tell me dimensionally what the differences would be?
I'm lousy at posting connecting links, but hopefully here is the info (sort of) of where it was indicated that the cowls were different.
Thanks,
David

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php...-fisher-body-style-s-696.html#Post463166

Last edited by David_S; 02/01/23 03:17 PM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Since the truck cowls did not have the Fisher Body Emblem plate and you are having alignment problems I am concerned that it is a passenger cowl not truck.

I don't have one to measure but Dean and a few others that frequent Chatter do have those trucks and should be willing to give enough measurements to verify which you have.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
David,
Call or text me and I will measure whatever you need to solve your mystery.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
David,
I'm assuming you have already gotten your answer regarding the cowl size and whether you have a car or truck cowl. I am new to the forum - but have been a member since 2003 and have been restoring a 1927 1-ton truck since 2000. My truck cowl has a backing plate welded to the inside lower section on the passenger side with two screw holes going to the outside. The was no outer emblem when I purchased the truck - but I figured one had been there at one time or at least the cowl was set up to handle one.

Would be curious to know what was attached to the cowl there.

Hoopieguy27@gmail.com

Scott

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.