Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#480192 03/28/23 06:01 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I successfully got a Florida registration, title, and tag last week so decided to tackle my 65-year-old Allstate tire replacement.

YouTube videos appear this process to be a challenge, as well as what I found here.

My wooden box in the trunk has the following u-shaped tool, is this something used for a tire change or something else?

Thanks
Steve

Attached Images
IMG_2206.jpg
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
There is a great article (with photos) from a past G&D magazine that describes how to change the tires. A scanned copy of the article is in the list of Technical Articles in the Members area of the main website (vcca.org).

Gaining access to this list of technical articles is one of many reasons for joining the club. ;-)

Basically, after separating the rim from the wheel, unlatch it and using the pry bars, pull one side up over the other. Then, pull the rim out of the tire in a cork screw fashion.

Make sure you have tire flaps when you go to put the tire and inner tube back onto the rim.

Coat the inside of the tire, the outside of the flap, and the inner tube with talcum powder. This allows the inner tube to slide around and not bind during assembly.

Do the reverse cork screw process to put the tire, flap, and inner tube back onto the rim. Then, using the tire irons (or spoons as they are sometimes called), pry the rim back into place.

It's best to use a spreader tool (like the one pictured below) to spread the rim far enough to be able to close the latch. Be careful not to spread the rim too far because it could get bent.

Cheers, Dean

Attached Images
TireSpreader.jpg

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.