Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am in the middle of pulling the engine and trans out. I am stuck with the torque tube fighting me and everytime I search for things i only get the 1/2 ton stuff. This has a carrier bearing with anther u-joint. and i cant slide the front piece back enough to release the u-joint. i have the carrier bearing one apart and i think i know what i need to do. it has clips that hold the outer cup of the u-joint in. i think i need to get the clips off and then slide the cups out in the grooves that are in the housing. i just want to make sure before i break anything. any help would be great.

Last edited by Joel_HastingsBus; 03/23/23 02:36 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I'll move this to a technical forum to get you a wider audience. Another consideration is, if you join the club you'll have access to our technical advisors. They are listed each month in the club magazine The Generator and Distributor commonly referred to as The G&D.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Joel,
I think that if you take the bolts out of the collar that holds the ball housing to the back of the transmission, everything should slide out.
The u-joint will stay together (that's good). If it catches on the ball housing, the housing will come too. If the u-joint clears the i.d. of the housing, the housing will stay with the intermediate driveshaft. Your carrier bearing can stay in place and undisturbed.
I might have some parts if you need anything.
My 1936 truck has the same setup and I have had it apart a couple of times.
Feel free to call me at 573 864 6539 or email at my direct address below.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
i have both of the ball joints taken apart. the front ball the sleeve will not go back far enough because the outershaft has a groove that it won't slide over. i am not by the project at the moment and won't be until monday. ill see if i can get some good pictures of it to explain what i am seeing. thank you for reaching out.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
oh i think i misread what you were trying to explain. your talking about pulling the engine and trans and the intermediate shaft will just pull out of the tube. that would definitely make it easier and less stuff to take apart and possibly break. ill text you pictures on monday and you can just get back to me when you can. Thanks

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The u-joint should slide off the front of the intermediate driveshaft if everything else is left assembled. I THINK???
Are you pulling the engine for a rebuild?

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
we are pulling out to clean and paint frame and go thru the engine and clean it up. We are doing a rusteration i call it. i work for a bus company and its got a Ward bus on the 37 frame. The only other thing i have found was dropping the rear axle and pulling that backward to get the gap. been busy working on other things i will be getting back to it here today and should know more.

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. The U-joint is bolted to the trans and slip joint to intermediate tube. You needn't undo anything as the yoke also slips out. On rare occasions the slip joint needs the coaxing of a crowbar. Separating the U-joint to access the trans without pulling the engine evokes many cuss words. .
. I don't have any Ward body 37 Chevy buses but you might like to look at some others. <http://home.znet.com/p1937/Bus.htm> .
The 37 Chevy with Flxible Clipper body has 3 torque tubes to get 78 HP to the 4.75 rear end. <http://home.znet.com/x1937/Flx.htm> .

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.