Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#479565 03/13/23 11:48 AM
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I figured this would be the best place as it is pretty specific. I am planning on continuing work on the wood for a 1929 Sedan and a 1929 Cabriolet body later this summer. At the same time I could make additional pieces if anyone needs. A number of parts are common across the body styles so depending on what parts you need I may be able to supply. Anyone interested can PM me with needs and for contact info.

Attached Images
IMG_5711.JPG DSCF6264.JPG
1 member likes this: GoodtimeCharlie
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
There is a guy on the VCCA page on facebook looking for a drivers side door pillar for a 29 chevrolet.

Ed
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I’m not sure if they’re the same but, if the main sills are the same for a sport coupe would you be willing to just trace one for me and mail it to me? Mine were so rotten I couldn’t get a usable template to make some. It’s been over a year with no luck if anyone willing or able to even do that. I would obviously pay to have them sent and probably be able to compensate for the paper/time.
Thanks.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by GoodtimeCharlie
I’m not sure if they’re the same but, if the main sills are the same for a sport coupe would you be willing to just trace one for me and mail it to me? Mine were so rotten I couldn’t get a usable template to make some. It’s been over a year with no luck if anyone willing or able to even do that. I would obviously pay to have them sent and probably be able to compensate for the paper/time.
Thanks.
I appreciate the request but I will not be taking time to trace or make patterns of any of the wood for these cars. I will be making for the cars stated and am only offering to make extras as I get to each individual piece. I am not a parts supplier and usually only re-wood bodies brought to me.
The coupe main sills are essentially the same as other closed cars with the location of the "B" pillar being different and no cutout for the dogleg for 4 door Sedans.
Regards.

Last edited by cabboy; 03/14/23 06:08 PM.
1 member likes this: Ed_Osier
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
No offense to anyone out there but there are some of us who’ve taken a lot of time, effort, and money to learn about these old cars. We’ve worked hard to perfect what we do, and some, have taken what we’ve learned and gone into business fabricating things from wood, springs, to rubber parts. I used to take a lot of my time up helping others and often when they were stuck on a piece, I would offer to make it for them. I know my time was well appreciated and I enjoy helping others but I can tell you more often than not, those people would say that I wanted too much money for the item and then the conversation would stop right there.
I don’t think most realize the amount of time alone it takes to make wood pieces AND make them CORRECT, never mind picking out and getting the correct wood for the item. I machined a mold for a pedal surround myself that I had quoted to three machine shops from $8000 to $12000! Now when I tell someone the finished piece from that mold is $275, a price quite a bit cheaper than a well known rubber parts manufacturer charges, if they even sold it but they don’t, they say I’m crazy. I’ve been asked if I can make paper drawings of my patterns and send them and I’m sorry, I just don’t answer anymore.
Cabboy politely replied why he couldn’t supply a paper pattern but one has to realize he’s running a business and making a livelihood from his expertise. I myself have graduated from this old car hobby to a business and I’m very busy. There are very few people making car wood these days and even fewer getting the wood done in a respectable amount of time. I am currently close to finishing a complete rewooding and sheet metal restoration of a 32 Oldsmobile convertible roadster that I started in August of 22. I have about a month left to go on a very extensively rotted car. The wood work barely covers half the time it’s taken so far and I can guarantee that many people just wanting a complete wood kit will wait 4-5 years just for the wood from a few other suppliers. There is a reason things cost what they do and more than not, it’s the time you’re paying for. The owner of this 32 Olds was ecstatic that I even agreed to take the car because of its poor condition but he’s even more ecstatic at its restoration. Sorry for the rant. Here’s a link to the body restoration. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/385214-1932-canadian-oldsmobile-dcr/page/3/#comment-2503431

1 member likes this: Ed_Osier
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Chistech
No offense to anyone out there but there are some of us who’ve taken a lot of time, effort, and money to learn about these old cars. We’ve worked hard to perfect what we do, and some, have taken what we’ve learned and gone into business fabricating things from wood, springs, to rubber parts. I used to take a lot of my time up helping others and often when they were stuck on a piece, I would offer to make it for them. I know my time was well appreciated and I enjoy helping others but I can tell you more often than not, those people would say that I wanted too much money for the item and then the conversation would stop right there.
I don’t think most realize the amount of time alone it takes to make wood pieces AND make them CORRECT, never mind picking out and getting the correct wood for the item. I machined a mold for a pedal surround myself that I had quoted to three machine shops from $8000 to $12000! Now when I tell someone the finished piece from that mold is $275, a price quite a bit cheaper than a well known rubber parts manufacturer charges, if they even sold it but they don’t, they say I’m crazy. I’ve been asked if I can make paper drawings of my patterns and send them and I’m sorry, I just don’t answer anymore.
Cabboy politely replied why he couldn’t supply a paper pattern but one has to realize he’s running a business and making a livelihood from his expertise. I myself have graduated from this old car hobby to a business and I’m very busy. There are very few people making car wood these days and even fewer getting the wood done in a respectable amount of time. I am currently close to finishing a complete rewooding and sheet metal restoration of a 32 Oldsmobile convertible roadster that I started in August of 22. I have about a month left to go on a very extensively rotted car. The wood work barely covers half the time it’s taken so far and I can guarantee that many people just wanting a complete wood kit will wait 4-5 years just for the wood from a few other suppliers. There is a reason things cost what they do and more than not, it’s the time you’re paying for. The owner of this 32 Olds was ecstatic that I even agreed to take the car because of its poor condition but he’s even more ecstatic at its restoration. Sorry for the rant. Here’s a link to the body restoration. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/385214-1932-canadian-oldsmobile-dcr/page/3/#comment-2503431

If this was directed at me I’ll just drop this in here to remind you of your hard earned knowledge:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
FYI, I contacted everyone making wood kits by calling and leaving messages as well as multiple emails as well(over 10 times on each contact attempt) for over 5 months. Not once did I receive any call backs, messages, or return emails. It’s not like I hadn’t made every attempt to purchase the WOOD itself from a reputable vendor but if they can’t be bothered to try to respond, WTH should I do? I understand why your protective of your craft, but if you condescend to younger people who are actively TRYING to keep the restorations around and not just turn them into hotrod or some other atrocity maybe people should encourage them instead of assuming you know their situation and going on a rant that’s uncalled for.
Oh, it’s also not like I wouldn’t have made my own pattern but I’ll drop this picture here to show the state of my cars ‘wood’:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Maybe you in your great hard earned knowledge could salvage enough to make a pattern from that? Rant over. I’ll just make it with steel so thanks @Christech for the reply that was a question for someone else.

@cabboy, thank you for your reply and I completely understand and sorry your thread got so derailed.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by GoodtimeCharlie
Thanks.
Looking at the picture you just posted and it seems you have a 31. The 1929 sills are very much different so I wouldn’t be able to help. All I had from my 29 sedan was about 2 feet at the back of one side and at least all the cross sills. It took considerable time but I was able to map out the main sills for it (picture in first post) so it can be done. Unfortunately I have not worked on a 31 Chev yet so have limited info.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Goodtime Charlie,
Looking at your previous postings, this repost may help others understand what you are working on: "09/24/22 Would anyone here happen to have a main sill for a 1931 sport coupe (5 window rumble seat)they could trace out for me? Mine were severely dry rotted and eaten away by termites. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough left to get a pattern from. I know there’s wood kits available but I’ve got the time so I figured I may as well give it a shot.
Thanks."
It is in everyones best interest to always include what year and model vehicle is being discussed. I've read that you have tried to contact several wood part/kit suppliers. Phone calls and emails may be convenient if answered. Maybe these businesses are one-man shows that are too busy. Don't know. Besides others on this forum that might be of help to you, may I suggest that you try contacting those wood part/kit suppliers by post office mail, to include vehicle specific details and photos and contact info. It may prove to those suppliers that you sincerely wish to do business. Just saying.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
If Jim Rodman is one of your calls I had better luck calling him first thing in the morning, his time. I recently read a thread on here or the AACA site that someone had his assistants number which was very helpful. You may try to find that thread by searching this site.

Are you in the VCCA and the local region? California has been very active since the beginning of the VCCA and I bet some of the regional members might be able to direct you to someone who can help.

Sorry Cabboy for getting on your thread, maybe we can move Goodtime Charlies post and the reply's to a new thread.

Dave

Last edited by Dave39MD; 03/15/23 03:44 PM.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Good time Charlie wrote and this is a reply to him.

Thanks.

Your words above. Well, it appears I did give a lot of factual information on the other vendors. If they didn’t get back to you that’s not my fault. It also appears you were asking them for patterns and not pieces judging by your words. No wonder they didn’t get back to you. You did not ask me about making any wood I believe nor did you ask Cabboy either. Even though he said he was MAKING wood, you only asked for a tracing that you were willing compensate for the paper, time , and I assume postage. While he prefers to make pieces for a car he has on hand, you didn’t know that at the time. Just last week I personally had Bill Cartwright get back to me after leaving a phone message and we had a nice conversation. Also spoke with Jim Rodman a month or two back about Oldsmobile wood.

Sorry you’re offended but it’s offending in my opinion to blatantly ask a business man (Cabboy) to give a copy of a pattern he uses to make a living, is currently in the process of making, and avoid paying for him to make it for you. Maybe that wasn’t your intention but I didn’t see any inquiry to purchase the piece made, only for a copy of the pattern. That is what my rant was about. It wasn’t meant to hijack Cabboys thread but to defend his position as a business man and it seems to happen a lot to many who are involved in car restoration.

While you’re asking for a main sill, your picture shows the rear cross sill rotted on a 31 rumble seat car. That’s a common piece I make all the time. It’s not a part of your main sills as it’s connected with a steel bracket to the kickups and the kickups are connected to the back end of the main sills. Another piece I make a lot of. There’s a very good chance the bottoms of your deck rails are rotted also judging by the picture. Making one piece from a tracing is not going to fix your issue. Again, I just shared with you a lot of knowledge again so you at least ask about the correct things.

I’m done here as I didn’t want it to go as far south as it did and Cabboy, good luck on the 29 project.

Last edited by Chistech; 03/15/23 04:13 PM.
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
@cabboy, is this the same 29 Cabriolet you started 23yrs ago? You remember me, I'm the guy you demanded wood patterns from.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by andsome07
@cabboy, is this the same 29 Cabriolet you started 23yrs ago? You remember me, I'm the guy you demanded wood patterns from.
1. I didn’t have this car 23 years ago. 2. I have no idea who you are. I do not recognize the avatar. 3. I have never demanded anything from anybody. 4. In conclusion I believe you may have me confused with someone else. 5. I can’t fathom what the purpose is of your post?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Headlighter, Peter_Gariepy, 1 invisible), 69 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.