Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#479104 02/22/23 10:48 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi All,

I had to replace the baffle plate in my 1927 water pump. Of course this required disassembling the water pump. Unfortunately, when I pressed the pulley back onto the pump shaft, the top of the pulley split, ruining it (this was my first time ever touching a metal press). I was able to find a replacement pulley, but it was difficult to find and expensive. My takeaways from my first attempt are:

1) Be sure to heat the pulley up a lot before beginning to press it back on
2) Use a large impact socket to evenly press on the pulley
3) Make sure the pulley is sitting evenly on the pump shaft
4) Press the pulley ALMOST all the way down to the housing, but not completely

Any other things to keep in mind or watch out for so I can do this successfully?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Make sure you are supporting the back end of the pump shaft when you press on the pulley. Otherwise you could improperly load the bearings or push the impeller against something.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 3,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 3,000
In 2017, I rebuilt the '28 engine in Lurch (see links below).

Here's the part where I rebuilt the water pump: Rebuilding a '28 water pump

If you want to read about the whole adventure, it starts here: Resurrecting a '28 Four Banger

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
That was very helpful, thank you! From your post, it doesn't sound like you used a metal press to put the pulley back on the shaft. What was your procedure?

Last edited by 1FineFin; 02/22/23 04:35 PM.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Rusty,

I take that to mean that I need to sure the impeller is sitting flat on something before I start to press, is that correct?

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
If the impeller and shaft are flush that may work but I think it best to have a spacer that fits under the shaft only -could be as simple as a flat washer or a socket.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree with Steve. Even just a smaller washer underneath the impeller end of the shaft will work. That will ensure that all the load when you press the pulley and hub on to the front end of the shaft goes through the shaft. There will be no load on the impeller.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 3,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 3,000
After re-reading my post from 2017, I see that I did not use a hydraulic press to put the pulley back on.

Since the new shaft was flush with the new impeller on the backside, I stood the water pump up on a steel plate, heated the pulley with my propane torch (to expand it a little), placed it on top of the shaft, placed a short piece of pipe (I seem to remember it was a 3/4" NPT pipe nipple around three inches long), and pounded the pulley onto the shaft with a hammer (hitting the pipe nipple). Maybe not the safest way to do it.

Recently, I rebuilt the water pump of my '28 Canopy Express. To put that pulley onto the new shaft, I used a friend's hydraulic press. On the rebuild kit for this project, the pump shaft was not flush with the impeller. It stuck out a little. So we put a flat washer under the impeller so that the end of the shaft was touching the steel plate under the whole assembly and the assembly stood erect. The key thought is to support the end of the pump shaft during the pressing operation.

Then, we used a large impact socket on top of the pulley and pressed it onto the shaft. Cold, not heated. We were careful NOT to push the pulley all the way to the pump housing, but just a few thousands away from it so the pulley could turn nicely and not bind on the housing.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
The water pump pulleys on these old cars are just not mounted on there with that tight of a resistance fit. I usually use a steering wheel puller to remove the pulley. To push it back on I would use a bench vise, or a "C" clamp. Both work just fine. Now the impeller onto the shaft might require more force, and or some heat. I have used a bench vise and a piece of pipe over the shaft. Growing up in rural Oregon we did not have access to things like presses and other tools that a regular shop would have, so we would have to improvise. Or drive into town and see if the local shop could spare the time to fit us in. If you wanted it done in a timely manner you would have to do it yourself. Besides I have generally found many small repairs are best done by hand. You have more control than can be obtained with a large piece of equipment.

These cars were designed so that an ordinary backyard mechanic/car owner could perform 90% of the work on his car. He would not have had access to the equipment many shops would have either.

Art

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you everyone for all the advice. The shaft and impeller are flush on this assembly, but I think I will still use a small flat washer as suggested to ensure that all the pressure is on the shaft itself. I will be home on spring break soon, and I will let you all know how it goes.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi All,

I successfully reassembled the pump and drove her for the first time since the 1990s! Thanks for all the help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lou, minetto, BearsFan315, Rustoholic), 73 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,060
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.