Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Guys,

I bought my ’45 Pickup about 1.5 yrs ago. Have not turned a wrench on anything older than ’60s since HS. Us guys in the family restored a 1930 Model ‘A’ in the mid ‘60s. Have wanted an old truck ever since. My chance came pretty late; 73 yrs old.

So, I’m a real greenhorn on much of this restoration process. I certainly was not aware, the trend with the current generation is to restore ‘60s muscle cars. I can see that, but Man, that’s a whole different thing!

I’m one that reveres the “Greatest Generation”. Of Course, WWII was their defining moment. My truck serial number claims my truck was on the assembly line on “VE Day”, May 8, 1945! So I named her Victory. Now is my chance to revel in the mind-space of my parents generation.

After 1.5 years of pretty serious pursuit including VCCA Forum related messaging, it occurred to me, the Judging aspect of the VCCA could help me quite a bit. Last night I employed my strongest computer skills to access the Judges Manual. It was a score!

The main thing I learned was, the Judges have access to all kinds of stuff to make them smart about details. As an example, they probably know where to find what all the punched holes in the bottom edge of Vicky’s dash are for. Can any of you point me to that? 1945 Chevy civilian 1/2 Ton, Model BK.

Note: Many of you know, this truck is RARE, for War related reasons. Thru VCCA Forums, I have found a GREAT ’46 3/4 Ton consultant, but so far, it’s been IMPOSSIBLE to consult with any other ’45 truck owners.

Thanks Much,

Jake

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Sounds like you have a GREAT truck!

Although I don't have any expertise to offer, I do have a few suggestions.

1. In the front of every G&D magazine, there is a list of Club Contacts. One of the people listed is the Chair of the Judging Committee. He should be able to point you to an expert to answer some of your questions.

2. Towards the back of the G&D, there is a list of Technical Advisors. There is an advisor listed for 1941-1946 trucks.

3. If you search the Membership database (in the Members area off the main club web page - vcca.org), you can search for 1945 truck and three names pop up.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Dean,

Your suggestions are most helpful! Thanks! I'll follow up. On #3, 4 names popped up for me! I had no idea I could do that! It's taking a while to learn all that the VCCA web site has to offer a cognitivly compromised ... who was maybe under the influence when he took on this gardantuan project. Oh, she was a basket case to boot, 3/4 of the fasteners thrown to the wind. But, 90% of parts accounted for, pretty straight, quite a bit of original paint with little rust.

Jake

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.