Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm getting a 1953 Chevy 150 Handyman back on the road after sitting in a friend's garage for 8+ years. I need a referral for a great classic Chevy mechanic in Los Angeles, preferably in South LA. Who has recommendations for me?

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the VCCA's website!

I suggest that you squirt a little automatic transmission fluid into each cylinder via the spark plug holes. This will lubricate the cylinders, as well as coat the rings in the pistons. Let this soak while you get your game plan in place.

For local recommendations of mechanics, check with a local VCCA chapter (we call them regions). Here's a list of the regions, along with contact info: https://vcca.org/page/Regions

There are lots of previous discussions in our forums about bringing vehicles back to life after sitting for a long time.

You can find these discussions using our Search function. It is described here: Search function hints and tips

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I bought a 1923 Superior B last year. The owner restored it and let it sit dry for 14 years. I used Marvel's Mystery Oil. Pulled the plugs and filled the tops of the cylinders and filled the oil fill. Three weeks ago I rolled it out in the driveway and put it in gear and pushed it free. Last week pulled the motor and redid all the seals and gaskets. Going back in this weekend. I will swear by that stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (modiol, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.