Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on headlight wiring for original 1927 headlights? My
'27 came with wiring, but it was completely disconnected and deteriorated near the headlights. It looks like there should be a special male plug that goes into the outside back of the headlight, but I have not been able to find this part from The Filling Station or anywhere else. Does it not exist? What is the correct set up?

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Wiring diagram:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/electrical/wiring/images/2728wiring.jpg

I would contact the folks over at YNZ Yesterday's Parts about obtaining the necessary hardware as far as plugs and the like.
https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I suggest you get a reprint of the shop manual and owner's manual. Besides having a lot of good technical info, these books contain some basic education on lots of subjects.

Various vendors carry them and you'll also find them on ebay.

Also, get familiar with this site's search function. Chances are some of your questions have been asked before and there are discussions, opinions, and answers to those questions on the site. Here's a write up on how to search for stuff: Search hints and tips

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Yes it takes a special plug. Check with Gary Wallace to see if he has a couple he will sell. The screw in the back of the headlight bucket also moves the bulb, and base in and out to focus the headlight beam. If you do not have it you must get the manual from The Filling Station.

I wired my '29 coupe from scratch. It is not a restored car and we were going on one of the Pacific Early 6 tours. There was not enough time to get one from a vendor. Besides if I was going to restore it at a later date I didn't want to take it out and then reuse it. They also are rather expensive. I bought new 12 gauge wire of about 5 different colors from O'reillys. I temporarily used zip ties where things were tapped off like the generator, or brake light switch. I wrapped everything in the cloth electrical tape and when I got to a zip tie I would cut it off and make a loop around the exiting wire and then back to the main harness. Start taping an inch or so from an end, then go backwards to the end to cover the beginning of the tape. Where your taping ends make a "half hitch" knot around the wires with the tape to secure the end so it won't unravel with future heat and oil. For connectors I used the crimp style with the little colored insulators cut off. I crimped and soldered the connections. Before crimping I put a piece of "shrink wrap heat tape" on there and slid it down over the solder . It looks close to the original except where the wires exit the harness. My '58 GMC and '55 Chevrolet panel truck were wired this way from the factory.

These harnesses are not complicated and can be rather easily worked on. If you really want to make it look "period" you could buy colored braided wire from "Restoration Supply" out of CA. Theoretically you could just use a pigtail where the equipment wires exit the wiring harness. Those colors are often shown in the wiring diagram included in most owners repair manuals.

Post back on the forum to let people know how you make out.

Art

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.