Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Does the curve of the rearmost leaf spring hanger of 52 coupe face the rear bumper or toward front?
I mounted it like I thought it used to be with the curve in the hanger toward the front of car and leaf spring shackles do not match up with leaf spring eye hole.
Or did I disassemble parts with weight on them and therefore the leaf springs were bit longer. Though doesn't seem like they will lengthen the Inch or two thats needed if I let weight down on them. What a bummer. Cars listed for sale by the way in classified section. thanks.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks. thats way I have it bolted on. Any tip as to how to straighten and hence lengthen the leaf spring an inch or two so the eye hole meets the shackle?
otherwise in for a long nite wrestling a leaf spring into submission.
Raising the axle till eye hole touches frame or a wood block and then starts to lengthen is all I can picture. Seems risky considering the tension that will build.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Are your springs the correct length? Pictures showing what you are seeing could be beneficial.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
i would use the wooden block against the frame approach.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
yes they are correct length about 45 inches center to center. They are the originals I pulled off car. Body wasn't on car when I pulled them and while body is back on frame no weight is on the leaf springs. Had to bolt them to front leaf mount then to the diff now trying to connect the shackle at rear. Though I dont recall them being under such tension as they are now when I removed them.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I tried piece wood 2x4 btwn frame and leaf eye to test tension and it built so much tension its lifting body and frame off the cinder blocks in rear and wood beam up front. I'm workin on dirt ground so had to stop or I won't see the sunrise. Shackle did get a bit closer though.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I had the same issue with my 51 and the body was not on the frame. I used the block of wood/frame set up and a floor jack with a chain under the jack and over the frame and lifting on the center/axle/spring mount position.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree that you need to proceed with caution. You made the right decision to stop when things became unstable.

i think you need a taller block of wood. The trick is to find the "sweet spot" where the shackle is pointing forward and maybe slightly down. In that position the angle of the shackle is almost in a straight line with the leaf.

I would duct tape the block to the leaf as near to the eye as you close as you can get it and still connect the shackle. That will give maximum leverage on the spring. As Steve noted, just lift that side of the axle at the spring mount.

A key point to remember is that the maximum axle drop is when the shackle is in line with the leaf. When the car is on the ground the shackle points up and to the front. That is a lot of rotation.

I do not tighten any suspension pivot bolts such as the shackle bolts or the front spring eye bolts until all the weight is on the wheels. This includes the bolt in the rubber bushed mount where the center spring mount attaches to the axle. This will put minimum stress on the rubber bushings when the car is sitting in its normal stance. In this situation I would have the shackle bolts loose enough that the shackle arms are hanging straight down due to their own weight.

I forgot that rule on one side when I replaced the front spring eye bushings on my '37. When I set the car on the ground the right side was sitting at least 1/2" higher than the left which I had not tightened. When I loosened that spring eye bolt the car immediately dropped that 1/2".

Last edited by Rusty 37 Master; 02/20/23 01:26 PM. Reason: More details

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I like that chain idea for sake of safety. Using that idea on other leaf spring. Its nerve racking under there after the spring is tensioned. Did finally get the shackle attached using thin 2x4 on its side bc has to be no wider than the leaf spring at the eye hole so that shackle can be inserted and secured with shackle plate washers and nuts. Had to use my whole body weight to pull down leaf and position 2x4 at same time. Then leaf spring eye hole was off to side by an inch. Kept up and down the scissor jack. Something relaxed or shifted and shackle pins suddenly lined up with eye holes. Then had to use C-clamp to pull leaf spring hole over to the mount hole. Questions, lifting, lowering, repositioning, pacing, thinking, wrestling and attaching one shackle only took me 12 hrs. I know it didn't take that long to disassemble it.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I think you identified my problem. The body and frame weight needs to be let down on the spring for the shackle to be installed when its in the parallel to ground or upward pointed position. I seemed to be doing that but in reverse which is why the frame and body kept lifting. The energy in a tensioned leaf springs is impressive.
Possibly raising the other side of axle would have helped me but I couldn't risk having that side off the ground. I had a bare steel wheel dug in to dirt acting as additional safety anchor or sorts. I like cars but I hate being under them cause when something goes wrong I'm in the direct path of it.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
As for a picture how do I post one? Ive never seen a link to do that.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
When posting or replying click on the box on the bottom that says "use full editor" then select attachment manager on the lower LH . After selecting a photo to attach click done and finish the post. The photo will show in the reply .

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (modiol, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.