Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Maytag Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey y'all!
My new-to-me '34 pickup was delivered to me last night. She runs/drives, but not well.
It's my intent to simply go through it with a quick once-over, so everything works reasonably well, and then drive it for a season while we decide what is long term plan is.

Any help I could coax out of y'all in selecting parts and performing functions would be appreciated!

The truck is reportedly all original, with the exception of being converted to 12v. I've never worked on something of this vintage, so save me if I'm going astray, will ya?

I'm planning to do the same as I've always done when acquiring an older used car:
1- replace ignition. Points, cap, rotor, wires, plugs.
2 - replace all fluids. Engine oil, trans lube, diff lube, coolant.
3 - brakes. I know these are cable operated. So i figure I'll inspect linings and then look for lube points on the cables? What else?
4- fuel system. I'll plan to replace filters and clean the carburetor. Does this carb have replaceable jets? I live at 4800' altitude.

What else should I be paying attention to?
The Trans shifter is very sloppy. I'm researching, but I think I'll be pulling the top cover and looking for worn bushings. Any ideas or experience with this?

Again: thanks for your help here.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Carburetor metering rod can be changed to a one step lean.
Chevroet did not offer a fuel filter in 1934 - see if you can I.D. the brand.
Check compression while plugs are out.
Really no way to lube brake cables without removing them.

Get a shop manual (reprint) from the Filling Station. Only $22.95

WELCOME

Last edited by Chev Nut; 02/05/23 08:41 PM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Maytag
Click on the website link http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/ which is Old Online Chevy Manual with has the 1934 Chevy shop manual, owners manual, 1942 Chevy parts catalog, service news letter and other information that you can access for free. You can also print of page from these online PDF files to take out to the shop with you. We have the GM authorized reprint original reprint shop and owner manuals in stock and the tune up parts you would need for your 1934 Chevy 207 engine.

The loose trans shifter problem may be that the pot metal ball seat for the shift lever is either extremely worn or broke into pieces. I have a few of these which are NOS GM in stock.

Questions or for the parts you need, send me a message to bob@marxparts.com

1 member likes this: Maytag
Maytag Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Aw man... you're AWESOME!
Thank You!

I previously ordered manuals from "the filling station" which arrived yesterday.
I'll shoot you an email to discuss the parts I'm looking for.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.