Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#478394 02/01/23 01:47 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello! I stumbled across this form this morning while trying to find a diagram for/any information on the wood plank sizes for the bed of a 1946 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. In doing so I realized that my bed must be from an earlier model, because I only have six boards.

I purchased my truck a few years ago from a gentleman in illinois. According to the title, and what little bit he knew about it, it lived its life as a farm truck in Kansas. My husband and I are currently in the process of complete restoration, with the exception of painting and modernizing it. I took my odometer apart, cleaned it up, and got it to working order (as far as I can tell), and I'm trying to find out how to rewire it for a 12-volt, and make it functional again. Other than that, everything is staying the same cosmetic-wise... especially the interior.

We've been fortunate enough to find pretty much all of the parts we need, including a few NOS parts which was really cool. I took it down to the frame, sans the cab, and applied POR15 last year, I took all of the metal trim off and cleaned it up, the dash...everything I could remove with a screwdriver, my hands, and a Dremel (blasted clutch head screws!) Aside from having my quilt shop logo hand painted and distressed on the doors, and hopefully finding some rims with tangs and painting them, everything will be as it is in the picture.

Thank you for the add! I look forward to checking out all of the forums.

Maria
Southern Indiana

Attached Images
20210817_230401.jpg
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

46ChevyTruck #478396 02/01/23 02:32 PM
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Welcome to VCCA Chat. That sure sounds like a great find and project. Having a vision of the end result always helps guide your efforts.

There will be lots of help available from this forum. I also encourage you to consider joining VCCA. There is a very active chapter in Indiana. The members would welcome you and might even be able to provide hands-on help as you continue your work.

With respect to converting to 12 volts, that is your choice. Quite a few of us have run these vehicles for many years with a 6 volt system. It is critical the the wiring and grounds be good whichever system you use. I personally put over 6500 miles on my ‘37 Master coupe in 5 years with the original 6 volt system. It was my daily driver from April through October. The only time it did not get me home was when a made-in China fuel pump failed.

With respect to the number of boards in the bed, the sizes, and profiles, you might check out the Stovebolt Forum. That is where we got the details to replace the bed in my friend’s ‘49 3100.

One of the many lessons I have learned with these classic vehicles is that just because it is on the vehicle now does not mean it was there when it left the factory. That is especially true with farm trucks. If something failed it was fixed with whatever was readily available at the lowest cost.

You might check out this sight for lots of technical details about your truck.

Old Online Chevy Manuals

Rusty

VCCA #44680
46ChevyTruck #478401 02/01/23 03:11 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Welcome!!

Nice to have another truck enthusiast here, and especially one with a 1946!
As you cans see from my avatar, I'm a '46 owner as well.
My truck came from Kansas as well, and was built in the Kansas City plant.
Maybe yours was too?
If your serial number begins with the number 5, our trucks are siblings.

I'm with Rusty on the 12v conversion.
I wouldn't think of converting mine, as the 6 volt system works perfectly well.
And I don't have to worry about converting lights, gauges, charging system components, etc etc.
We run both 6 and 12 volt systems on the farm and I've never noticed any difference in how fast the starters crank, or how long they will crank.
As Rusty says, pay attention to the gauge (thickness) of the battery cables if you are replacing them, and 6 volts are just fine.

Regarding the pickup bed,
that isn't really my field as I own a stake bed 3/4 ton,
But I do recall reading/seeing something about a change in the number of boards used at some point.
IF the change was at the 1946 1st design or even the 2nd design model year, don't assume you have the wrong pickup bed just yet.
Chev didn't just throw the old design parts away, so there are cases of overlap between years on some otherwise inconsequential details.

PS
Some of us here have seen some strange undocumented things with TRUCKS that were immediately post war.
My truck, for example, still has the leather grommet at the gasoline tank filler.
Every source I know says leather was used DURING the war but was rubber again by the 1946 2nd design model.
Not so.

Again, welcome!
I think you've found the best, most congenial vintage Chevrolet site on the internet.

PS
We love pictures!
And we'd like to see more!

Last edited by Stovblt; 02/01/23 03:24 PM.

Ole S Olson
1 member likes this: Clement
46ChevyTruck #478406 02/01/23 06:57 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi again Maria

I've tried to do a little research on old Chevrolet pickup beds.
Modern suppliers do indeed suggest that 1941-45 used 6 boards, and 1946 used 7 boards.
But I don't seem to be getting anywhere with old parts books in trying to verify that.
In fact, all I can find is a part number for a complete pickup box in my Canadian truck specific parts book.
It only gives 1 number for everything from 1941-46.
So we don't really know exactly when the change occurred.
Maybe someone else has information on this?

At any rate...
Do NOT assume you don't have the factory box on your pickup.
You probably do.

As a matter of interest though...
From the serial number plate which is revealed on the right side of the cowl when you open the hood,
could you tell us what the first number, and the following 3 letters are?
That would tell us where and when your truck was built.

As I said above, mine was built in Kansas City in October of 1946,
a true 2nd design 1946,
and yet it still has the leather gasoline filler grommet.

Ole S Olson
46ChevyTruck #478463 02/03/23 12:13 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Welcome to the forum Maria. Lot to learn here and great guys to learn from! It's great you have the vision you have for the old truck ahead of time. Looks like you and the hubby have a couple other trucks there unless those are at the place you bought from?
Send some more pics are way if you get a chance.

46ChevyTruck #480129 03/27/23 12:29 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Welcome Maria,

You have indeed come to a good site to learn and be learned from. I can tell you, the guys you have received comments from already are great sources, esp Stovebit, from my personal experience.

I own a ’45 1/2 ton, Model BK. She also has 6 boards and I’m sure it is the original bed. The boards have been protected by a piece of sheet steel for most of her life.

I’m another one of those 6V guys. I’ve found no drawbacks and IMO, being able to keep so much as original is easiest.

Rarely have I looked at the New Members - Questions Forum. I came to it tonight because I’m on a personal VCCA Forum promotional campaign. OMO, by far, the quickest and easiest way to get a question answered here at VCCA is to Google it, then tag on VCCA.

Since Models remained the same for several years, to cover all the bases in your search, you need to list the years. For instance, I did a search on your question about bed boards. This went in the Google search box as; “1941, 1942, 1945, 1946 chevy truck bed boards, vcca”. It turned up one very long thread that took place in 2017. Several comments into it, ONE SENTENCE talked about 6 boards being in the bed. In fact, the questioner found out the truck in question was not a 1941, it was a 1945!

Look forward to seeing more from you.

Jake

1 member likes this: Clement
46ChevyTruck #480141 03/27/23 12:30 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Maria,

I also welcome you to the site. Great looking truck you've got there!

This website has a very powerful Search Function where you can specify what you are looking for and get good results. Here's a write up on how to use it: Search Hints and Tips

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.