Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have a 1941 Master Deluxe and the radio was in with the parts I received with the car. I would like to install the radio in the car but as there are only 3 AM stations left in my area and they are all talk radio it would not get used much. This is more of a if it is a cheep and easy fix it will go in and if not then the blank plate will stay in.

The radio is model 985793. Two of the buttons are missing the rods behind them. I have never powered this on to know its condition. Before I go further than cleaning it I would like to know the following:

1. What type of plug should be connecting this? I saw a fuse with dried up rubber around it stuck in the back or the radio. I got the fuse out and the rubber just crumbled.

2. I have been told that the vibrator should be replaced on these when putting them back in the car. I did look at what is labeled as the vibrator and it has a old Delco logo stamped on it. Why does this need to be done and how do I know if this part is good?

3. All of the tubes have the same Delco stamp on them as the vibrator except one. It has a Sylvania stamp and defiantly looks newer. Only one tube has a black color to it. Other than a tube tester (i do not have one) is there any way to test these? I have a multimeter.

4. One of the knobs has a white dial behind it with the letters VMB on it. It can be turned to each of these locations. What are these?

5. Do these light up only when the radio is on or whenever the headlights are on, I suspect only when they are powered up. Or do they not light up at all? Never seen one of these working and have not dug into it far enough to find out if there are bulbs.

Originally I was just going to make the knobs and buttons work a Bluetooth speaker but I cannot bring myself to do that if there is a chance this may still work, especially since the car has an antenna. I can hide a speaker allot of other places.

Attached Images
full.JPG inside.JPG knob.JPG lable.JPG rearlable.JPG sn.JPG

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
VMB I think it means Voice Music B ? Your radio appears to be a 46 model Should light up when power turned on.

Dick

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Forget about it.

The connector is a bayonet type push in and twist with a fuse in it.
Just relacing the vibrator may or may not work. The buffer condensor has to be re0laced when putting in a working vibrator.
Dick is correct. The model number desinates 42-47.C46means 46.
Control in chrome is a dimmer for bulb when the headlight switch is activated.
VMB is a tone swich Voice Music Bass.
Mybe a riend with some experience can help and even then only AM. It will play without two of the rods under the push buttons only you will not be able to save stations with those.
I could go on but I won't.

Last edited by radiofixer; 01/24/23 04:12 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (gachap, chevy b), 97 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.