Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My 37 Master has had the king pins replaced but there os still some movement in the caster camber direction is this normal?

Last edited by Tiny; 01/15/23 12:43 PM.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
There has to be some movement or the spindle would not rotate on the kingpin. The key is how much is acceptable.

I know this sounds crazy but sometimes people replace the kingpins and not the bushings. The bushings tend to wear the most.

If the bushings wear excessively I expect there could be some wear in the hole in the spindle. Also check to make sure that the lock pins are holding the kingpin firmly in the axle.

I assume you have a straight axle car because you list it as a Master. In those axles the bushings are a “floating” design. That means the bushing just slips into the bore in the spindle. The kingpin slips into the bushing. So the bushing itself can also rotate. These bushings are not reamed to size after installation. The details are in your shop manual.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
IT IS NOT normal or correct.
First are you sure that the wheel bearings are not too loose?
If it is the king pins the holes in the front axle could be worn. If so the axle has to be reamed out and over
sized bushings installed.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.