Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#477433 01/07/23 01:14 PM
David_S Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I'm in the process of finishing up my wood for my 28 truck roof and am thinking of the next steps for this part of reconstruction even though I am sure I wouldn't put roof material on for a time yet.
Two questions I have are; being that the roof framing is a separate assembly that bolts down to the door/windshield headers, does the roof vinyl wrap around the roof assembly and get sandwiched between the wood? I am guessing it doesn't from pictures I have researched, but not sure.
Also I am wondering if anyone has ideas for the strips used to hide the tacks/staples that hold the material to the roof framing? I know there is the hide-em welting. I don't really care for the looks of it compared to the traditional metal channel that nails on and has a hiding strip that inserts into that.
I see Snyder's has a very good reproduction piece with an insert for the rain gutter above the door, but resorts to the hide-em strips for the rest.
I have looked at camper/trailer trim strips for hiding joints and that gets a person close, but not quite right. Picture attached for reference shows the strip with insert. Doesn't appear that fabric wrapped around.
David

Attached Images
roof detail.jpg
David_S Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Going to comment on my own post here. Did some more research and came up with the attached. It seems quite close to looking like the original only in aluminum rather than steel. If anyone can supply any photos or tips however on lengths. From photos I have researched it appears there may have been joints in the center above the windshield, and where sides of cab meet back. IDK however how they would have made it have a finished look. Pictures when zoomed in on clearly show a nice square cut on the ends indicating a seem above the windshield center and at cab back.
David

Attached Images
trim example.jpg trim joint at windshield.jpeg
Last edited by David_S; 01/09/23 04:53 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (triZero, Nick_in_Manitou, Bertus, minetto), 65 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.