Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#477383 01/05/23 06:32 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My first post on this site. I have a 1931 Chevy Coupe, which I am restoring from the ground up. I have a problem with the left rear parking(emergency) brake. The metal rod that connects to the brake cam inside the drum brake has some play in it. This prevents it from turning the cam either all the way on, or allowing it to close completely. I have to figure out how to either find a new metal rod, or get this to stop slipping. I took it apart, and the metal connection(V shape that turns the rod) does not hold tight to the main rod. It looks like there was some spline, or similar, metal catch that once held them together. Any ideas how I should proceed?
I suspect I could have someone weld it together, since this connection is not meant to move. I have not been able to find this piece anywhere on line.
Please help.

Attached Images
Chevy brake link.jpg

Dave UBBT77
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The pressed metal piece on the shaft is a brake adjuster, which lets to adjust the emergency brake side to side, the missing screw and lock nut determine the position,.
The end of the shaft shows wear, at the position it sits into the differential housing , it will be necessary to have the shaft welded , and shaped back to the correct shape and diameter, to remove the sloppy fit, it may be necessary to bush the hole in the differential housing also.

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 01/05/23 07:27 PM.

JACK
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The inner part is keyed to the shaft and NEEDS to move to be adjusted by the missing screw and nut. When the connecting link rod is attached to the adjuster the screw is turned to rotate the shaft and adjust the shoes. You will need to remove the adjuster from the shaft to inspect for a missing or damaged key and keyway . Also I noticed in your profile a VCCA number is listed that I do not recognize as a VCCA member number. Just so you are aware registering on the Chat site is not the same as becoming a VCCA member. That is a separate process that you can learn about by clicking on the box in the upper RH corner of the page I believe. I hope you will join the VCCA as there are other benefits other than the chat site and glad you found your way here to CHAT.

Last edited by m006840; 01/05/23 08:31 PM.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have that part if you can not fix yours.
It should be keyed to the shaft.
E mail me if needed bwbugay@aol.com

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.