Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
About 6-7 years back my phone rang and when I answered, the woman asked if I was Ted Brito, the man who worked on old chevys. I said I was and she started to explain that she and her son were trying to convince her husband to send their car to me to restore. Suddenly she said, “oh, he’s coming, have to go” and abruptly hung up the phone. It was virtually two years later when my phone rang again I immediately recognized her voice. This was just about 3 1/2 years ago when I decided to take a break from restoring because I was very unsatisfied with outside vendors and the time they took to get things done plus Lebaron and Bonney had just filed bankruptcy. I don’t even need to mention that my wife was tired of my late nights in the garage.
When I mentioned the call, the fact that the car and family were only 30 minutes or less away, m wife said we should take a ride and go discuss what they were looking for. When we arrived we were met by the husband Don, his wife Sylvia (who had called me), and their son Bruce. Turned out they were the nicest family you could ever meet and had been following all my restoration work both here on these forums and the AACA! I was asked if I would do their car and we walked out to the garage to have a look. It was a total basket case with one chassis/driveline, two bodies, one poor, the other much better with some new wood (some pieces were incorrectly installed and would require a lot of work to correct), and many parts Don had already restored.
On the drive home my wife said that I absolutely had to do their car for them. Exactly what I was thinking but hadn’t voiced yet being an experienced husband! I did tell the Hampton’s that I couldn’t start right away because I was working both on a 34 chevy pickup for a VCCA member and my own 32 Olds that I was trying to finish.
I took the chassis/driveline first and started disassembling it. Many things were worn out and the stripped chassis went to powder. I disassembled the motor (which Don had partially rebuilt) because it had become filled with sludge from don’s frequent running but only at short amount of time causing lots of moisture then sludge. Found the cam and lifters pretty bad long with .022 of end play on the crank. Pulled the center bearing and sent it to Paul’s to have the thrust surface rebabbitted. The bore was good, don had installed new .040. Sears roebuck aluminum replacement pistons, so it only needed a light honing. New guides and valves were also in order along with a replacement cam.
I continued working on the rest of the driveline parts while the engine was at the shop. Of course now it’s Covid so the motor shop basically dropped the ball and I was waiting with a completely done chassis while the motor took 18-20 months to complete! What the hell!
Before the motor came back, I had already gone and picked up the body and started on all the wood repairs. A whole new roof, main sill, new B pillars, A pillar top fittings, were all in order and completed. So not to go on and on with the process of the restoration, the car was completed. It took way longer than expected because things like roof materials, interior materials, and even paint, all took much more time than normal to acquire. While I was waiting for the last two items, pinstriping of the body and a piece of rug for the rear seating area I was informed that Don had been diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver disease and he was starting to fail. There was going to be an August Cars and Coffee car show at the Salve Regina campus in Newport so I took the car there so the family could casually take don to the show and he would end up seeing his car as a surprise. After many photos and smiles, Don was tired so he and Sylvia left for home and i trailered the car back to my house for its September 28 pinstriping appointment. (My pinstriper is excellent and is booked out for months).
Well, a few weeks ago, with the pinstriping done, I picked up the hemmed rug from the upholstery shop, installed it and called Bruce to let him know the car was finally finished. Bruce solemnly replied to me that his dad had just passed away earlier. What a loss and then I felt a disappointment in myself that I hadn’t been able to get the car completed sooner and had taken Don for a ride.
Yesterday, Don was laid to rest and I was able to drive Sylvia, Bruce, his sister Sue and brother Scott in the chevy from the funeral parlor to the cemetery. Don loved his old cars and I’m glad he was able to follow along with its restoration on my postings in the AACA restoration forums. Don was a VCCA member and remeberances were directed to be left as donations to the VCCA. The Hampton’s are a great example of what good people and family are. Rest In Peace Don.

Attached Images
EE1629F1-6B84-405D-8FFF-4FC75AD3F339.jpeg 6F1B3552-C512-41C1-8D82-5ED19BFCA47A.jpeg 0F8AE748-DC4B-4D74-9120-D4FFEB545A17.jpeg
3 members like this: David_S, Clement, Dave39MD
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I remember being with you the day you looked at that Chevy. I thought to myself "nah, that thing is too far gone. You're crazy to take it on."

I recall thinking the same thing when I first saw your '32 Olds. Nah, you ain't gonna finish that basket case. I'd part the poor thing out and move on.

Both times you proved me wrong. Amazing work !

Very nice tribute to the family. I'm sure they will never forget it.

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks charlie. It was pretty rough and probably a little worse than my olds both both had good bones. The current olds I’m working on is very rough but it to, is coming back. Haven’t touched it in over two weeks for both personal and work related issues but will be getting back to it shortly. The Hampton’s really are great people and I’ll be doing some touring with Bruce in the summer. Maybe we’ll head out your way one day and hook up for a cruise.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
My sympathies to the Hampton family and to you too. I'm sure you gave Don and his family a lot of joy through the restoration process. I remember seeing the pictures and reading your commentary & reports when you did my 30 Chevy - it just made my day !

Something about this "old iron" we play with that brings good people together.

Take care.

ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Originally Posted by whitmoy
My sympathies to the Hampton family and to you too. I'm sure you gave Don and his family a lot of joy through the restoration process. I remember seeing the pictures and reading your commentary & reports when you did my 30 Chevy - it just made my day !

Something about this "old iron" we play with that brings good people together.

Take care.
Like you and others I’ve restored cars for, the Hampton’s are great people. Don’s son called me yesterday to say he and his sister took the car out for a ride, it died on a back road while lugging it some around a corner, and it didn’t want to restart. The weather was gray and cold and told him he was pretty brave then gave him tips on what to check. He called back saying he simply ended up choking it and it started back up but was idling a little low and rough. He was reluctant to choke it think he might flood it but I suggested he try it. It’s a fresh restoration so I expect things like this, especially with a temp/weather change. He kept the throttle out slightly to keep the idle a little higher and drove it home. I’ll help him fine tune it later.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Beautiful job! I hope his family will continue to enjoy it and he would be pleased.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (swedechev), 78 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.