Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#475458 10/25/22 10:11 AM
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I understand that at operating temperature, the valves should be adjusted to Intake = .006", Exhaust = .008". But what is the initial clearance before starting the engine? Should I set them at that same clearance initially? That would seem to be obvious, but when something seems obvious, I usually question it.
Also, what should I torque the fasteners that hold on the rocker arm shaft assembly?
Thanks for all of the expert comments.

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I have found that the cold and hot valve gap setting is the same. So I set them to 0.008" intake and 0.010" exhaust cold. I like to set them a little loose even though there will surely be some initial wear when the parts are new. After a 50 or so and then few hundred miles reset them again. The rocker shaft bolts are soft so 25 to 30 ft. lbs is recommended.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I agree with Chipper.

Even Chevrolet themselves said a properly warmed up and equalized 216 ended up with the same clearances when hot as when cold.
I don't even bother re checking hot, as I find I'm likely to screw up a good even setting when fooling with it as it cools off.
I see no reason that a 194 would be any different.

I also agree with giving them a little extra clearance.
Chev showed that the clearances will narrow and then widen back out (especially the exhausts) as the engine warms up.
I think that a little ticking is better than a burnt valve, so I like a little extra clearance for insurance.

Ole S Olson
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks guys for the quick response.

Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have one more question. I installed the felt oil wicks in the rocker arms, but some of them will not stay where they should be, which is extended over the cup on top of the push rods. Just turning the engine by hand, some of them just won't stay there. Is there anything that I am missing on the installation of these wicks? Seems like they should have some way to retain them.
Thanks.

Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
not really, what i have done is use forceps and pull them up into the cup of the rocker arm tip. seems that the NEWER wicks everyone has now are smaller diameter and move around more, granted they are a lot easier to install they do NOT stay in place like the older larger diameter ones !

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks BearsFan3. I was a little surprised how easily the wicks installed. At least it isn't that hard to check now and then to see if they have moved.

Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.